• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thread(s) Of Elio As Long-distance Highway Machine

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
is there one? I can't find one

if not, what are the opinions of you Elio fans?

noise? vibration? cross-winds?

or Elio just a cute, cheap, useful machine for rolling around cities and suburbs?

Len

One aspect that occurred to me: if one goes on a long trip with 2 people, one won't have room for a bag that holds all your stuff normally. I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting all of 2 people's stuff for multiple days into one bag that will fit in the Elio trunk. Will have to implement the airline's 3 oz of liquid per bottle rule. lol May have to do laundry at the destination too.

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The Elio would likely be my primary vehicle, with the occasional need for a larger one. But for the most part I'll be able to do everything I'd normally do with it. Mostly drive a little around town and maybe use it as a work car. But I do hope that with it I can plan on making more road trips, maybe even just tour around the country on weekends ^_^ Mostly to visit family, though.

I very much hope it's a comfortable enough ride. With modern vehicles I think there is an increasing expectation to have a comfortable cabin. If not, I'll do my best to increase the sound proofing and seat and suspension comfort.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
One aspect that occurred to me: if one goes on a long trip with 2 people, one won't have room for a bag that holds all your stuff normally. I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting all of 2 people's stuff for multiple days into one bag that will fit in the Elio trunk. Will have to implement the airline's 3 oz of liquid per bottle rule. lol May have to do laundry at the destination too.

I've been thinking along those lines as well ... some sort of trailer or carrier has been considered .... if the Elio proves to deliver the quality of ride that we can comfortably make long trips, we just might give it a try .... as an example, we live in NC and one of our sons lives in St Louis .... if were going out to visit for an extended period, the savings in gasoline could help pay to ship our suitcase out there and back .. :D

Jim

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
replaced my 50+ yrs of biking, with a Toyota MR2,has a LCG, bounces around like a old MG, catback exhaust- was a perfect replacement. BUT NOW, I fell in love when I first saw the ELIO, and thought it was going to be too pricy - then after I saw the price-wow- frequently spent way north of 7k buying bikes, actually, almost double otd!!!, and that was without ALL the goodies offered. I'll be in pig (was hog)heaven with this great substitute (with lots of added accessories!!)

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me, I have a 5 mile commute each way, with 75-150 mile trips every 3 months or so. My current car gets good mileage (25-30), but its getting a little old and things are wearing out. Its a 1995 GEP Prizm with 188K miles. I put 175K miles on it myself. As mentioned above, I('m going to treat my Elio gently and hope to live until its a collectible.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Economy vehicle......economy class travel for two. I'm certain there will be many after market storage mods and trailer options as discussed for those longer road trips either solo or duo. Be sure to invest in a pair of ex-officio underwear for travel..............to maximize your wardrobe space.

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just my opinion but folks need to realize Elio is not like other compact cars when it comes to comfort for distance rides. The wide front wheelbase will help but this car is a ROADSTER. It is meant to handle curves at higher speeds and give a "sports car ride" without the price. It will be similar to the Pontiac Solstice I drove (link on another thread for that auto) and comparable to Mazda Miata, Saturn Sky (basically the Solstice) and Honda 2000. There will be road noise but not as bad as some may think. I highly recommend ramping up to longer distance drive with increasing each following trip. Going from a 40 mile drive to work (mine) to 200-300+ will surprise you. Actually no one should be driving that far without stopping to stretch anyway. Now retired, my plan is to drive up and down the boulevards nodding at all those commenting on my new 3 wheel ride and asking "what is that?" This happened with the Solstice and got same response when I tool 1BADBOY on the water. 120 MPH boats are not that common. Biggest issue will be for you to try to hold your ego in check!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
As I plan to do some towing I would likely upgrade the coil-over shocks to adjustable ones anyhow which will allow me to adjust the ride to my liking however the stock suspension will likely have the feel of a modern compact car which is not bad but also is not a Cadillac or Lexus smooth ride either.

I would guess that sound levels will be low because the vehicles aerodynamics are designed to be highly efficient thus helping keep the noise caused by buffeting air to a minimum. Also the fact that the front two wheels and outside the body will likely help keep noise levels down. The plastic body panels should provide some natural sound deadening. The stock sound deadening material will not likely be of high quality to keep costs low however as this is a very small vehicle pulling out the carpet and installing your own would not be too big a task.

Top Bottom