• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thread(s) Of Elio As Long-distance Highway Machine

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
commuter for me.
except the drive home from the plant.
I'll let you know next Christmas!

Yep...same here! Going to drive the wheels off it for the next 8 years going back and forth to work with the only forseeable 'road trip' being the one from the factory to my driveway....Looking forward to it!:)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
unfortunately, at this point, how well an Elio may be able to any handle any type of real world use is purely theoretical .... I've been told that the quality of ride may be similar to that of an English (MG type) sports car .... that really didn't help me much because I've never driven one .... I suspect that just how well an Elio may perform under various circumstances will vary with the expectations of its owner

Jim

Oldfarmer

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For satx's benefit I'll repeat a comment I made in another forum:
I live in NC and have grandkids in the burbs just north of Detroit. 658 miles door to door. I'm looking forward to making the trip without stopping (for gas...).
I've made the trip several times in a '96 Civic and it's not great. Like a 10 hour go-cart ride. I now make it in a '14 Prius which is nice ride. I can't imagine the Elio could be any worse than the Civic but I'm gonna do it!

Oldfarmer

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sure hope so.
I just sold my '97 Accord with 230,000 miles on it. Bought it new. Averaged about 32-34mpg. It was a great car. It did a lot of highway miles at highway speeds and never let me down.
The Civic has about 210,000 and get a whopping 36mpg on average (except at high speeds/rpm's). Bought it new too and it has been another great car.
If the Elio gets anywhere close to these, at $6800, it's a good deal.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My case is 2 x 75 miles/day, 75 -80 mph, 35K miles/year, $4000/year in gas in my old Camry. The Elio could pay for itself in 3 or so years, but would it be liveable and alive after 100K high speed miles?

If you keep up with the periodic maintenance, any engine will keep on chugging along for maybe 300k (w/modern engine designs). Start neglecting it (oil changes, filters, belts, etc...) and I'd doubt you make 100k. Mine should have close to 500k by the time I retire, and I'm going to do my best to keep the original engine in it....It'll be worth so much more at the Barrett/Jackson auction with matching numbers! :D

Top Bottom