• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's SUPPOSED to be a cup holder in the rear seat armrest and one in front of the shifter on the driver's right side.

I would get rid of the Elgin dash. It's ugly, it doesn't read speed accurately (and this one goes to 140 mph, which is ludicrous) and the whole dash enclosure is aesthetically repulsive.

I'd also put some kind of silencing and protective material between the engine compartment and the pedals -- it's a wide open tunnel right now, open to winds, road splash, noise, and fluctuating tempratures. I can't believe that they didn't consider that, so it must be just a case of not 100% ready for prime time.

Last edited:

Musicalpa

Reaction score
I haven't seen the Elio car in person, and I've only seen video's and photos. Overall, based on what I've seen, there are only a few contributing ideas I would like to see changed.

The interior dash isn't attractive and looks very plain. It kind of reminds me of the flat Jeep dash from the 70's. However, with that said, it does appear to possibly allow for easy customization to add more switches for things like fog/driving lights, rear camera display, etc. With that said, it would be significantly more attractive and modern looking on the interior if it would carry over the aerodynamic streamlined principles from the outside to the inside. However, at the current proposed price point I would still take it as it is in a heart beat.

For a safety improvement, I'd like to see additional LED daytime running lights and/or fog lights integrated into the front of the front wheel well housings so that oncoming vehicles at night will have a better visibility of the Elio size so as to stay on their side of the road. Additionally, I'd also like to see a side LED indicators and turn signal lights integrated into the back of the font wheel well housings in order to increase night time visibility for the nuts that always feel they have to pass every car that's in front of them. The way it is now can easily allow for a false perception of its size at night, and given the way I see people drive when I'm on a motorcycle (riding the line too closely and even go over the line often with I believe is the idea that because I'm on a motorcycle I don't need all that room), I'd be concerned. Given the LED technology of today, this modification would be relatively inexpensive and easy to accomplish, and I feel it would greatly improve visibility to be seen both during the day as well as at night, and it would also improve night time driving visibility for the Elio driver.

An aerodynamic improvement would be to replace the exterior side mirrors with tiny aerodynamic cameras with small display screens on each side of the interior to display what would be seen from the mirrors. The nice thing with a camera also is the fact that a camera allows for a greater area of visibility, and distance indicators can be included with it. Cost to do something like this would be more than simple basic mirrors, but again, with today's technology, the increased cost would be marginal.

And lastly, I'm hoping they'll continue to keep up with the modern technology by using a CVT for the automatic transmission. Bottom line is CVT's are just flat out superior for an efficient balance of power and acceleration, and the programming controls can be easily improved with a simple download as improvement are discovered.

That's my 2 cents.

That's my 2 cents for proposed improvements.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many of us have talked about the need for led markers on the backs of the wheel covers, but your point about putting them in front too is well taken.

Rear view mirrors are mandated by law for both cars and motorcycles, so cameras cannot replace them. Yet.

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's a cup holder in the rear seat armrest and one in front of the shifter on the driver's right side.

I would get rid of the Elgin dash. It's ugly, it doesn't read speed accurately (and this one goes to 140 mph, which is ludicrous) and the whole dash enclosure is aesthetically repulsive.

I'd also put some kind of silencing and protective material between the engine compartment and the pedals -- it's a wide open tunnel right now, open to winds, road splash, noise, and fluctuating tempratures. I can't believe that they didn't consider that, so it must be just a case of not 100% ready for prime time.
No Cup Holders found. There isn't enough room in front of the shifter for one. Sure am glad this isn't the finished production model. :eek:

ElioInterior.jpg
ElioBackSeat.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom