• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The simple reasons for EM choosing an AMT over other types of automatics are fuel efficiency and cost. An AMT equipped Elio will achieve the same or better fuel economy than a manual transmission equipped Elio. The single clutch AMT is also slightly less expensive than a traditional torque converter automatic which are also heavier and less fuel efficient. CVT's are more expensive and don't get better fuel economy than a modern torque converter automatic however some people like them for their smoothness. Dual clutch automatics are fuel efficient however at this time they are the most expensive type of automatic.

Some people already don't like the fact that they could could pay $500-$1000 more for an automatic equipped Elio so the AMT is the best option.

It is likely wise to wait and reserve judgement on the AMT equipped Elio until after we find out how it really drives as comparing it to the Smart is not likely a good comparison either as the Smart AMT design is over a decade old now and the Smart is a heavier vehicle so we will just have to wait and see how a newer generation of AMT works in a lighter vehicle.

Completely agree, as usual :D I trust the AMT will be just fine
That sounds very distractiing! :) Z

Would take some getting used to at least, but sounds like a good idea to me if done properly.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why? What is it you don't think you will like about it? I don't think you will notice that it is not a regular automatic.
I don't mean deal breaker with the E-car, I'm hooked on it, just the AMT, I'm going to have to do a bit of research, as I've really never heard of it. If I had to fill out my order form today, it would be a manual transmission as I have plenty of experience with them. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to push a clutch pedal anymore as I've had both knees surgically repaired and they aren't getting any younger.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't mean deal breaker with the E-car, I'm hooked on it, just the AMT, I'm going to have to do a bit of research, as I've really never heard of it. If I had to fill out my order form today, it would be a manual transmission as I have plenty of experience with them. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to push a clutch pedal anymore as I've had both knees surgically repaired and they aren't getting any younger.

all too well understood on the knee surgery, for me, one down and one to go ....for us, that AMT is a must ....with most of our projected use involving city driving, I want no part of another manual transmission .... while she has in years (read that many years) past, with a straight drive, I doubt my wife would every drive it .... the Aisin AMT is reported to be much smoother than the type used in the Smart Car and as noted, it is also projected to deliver better mileage than its manual counterpart

Jim

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cheese head, There are actually 2 AMT's in big rigs .... the AUTO SHIFT which uses a clutch for starting and stopping and the ULTRA SHIFT which has no clutch peddle. And the inner workings differ in the auto shift the clutch never leaves the flywheel unless you push the peddle in (not needed for shifting when driving), the ultra shift the clutch leaves the flywheel for every shift ( done automaticly by the computor controls).

True, and those are just the Eaton transmissions. Freightliner has the Detroit (think it's actually a Euro Mercedes truck design) branded 12 speed and Volvo uses their iDrive. Both are 2 pedal transmissions, no clutch pedal. I've not run either of these myself.

My driving for a living days are over, I'll get in a truck once in a while to haul hay or corn for a friend, just to keep the rust off. Late 90s W900, 12.7 Detroit and a 13 speed manual. Wish I could get him to lose the bull hauler straight pipes, can't hear myself think in that thing.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
all too well understood on the knee surgery, for me, one down and one to go ....for us, that AMT is a must ....with most of our projected use involving city driving, I want no part of another manual transmission .... while she has in years (read that many years) past, with a straight drive, I doubt my wife would every drive it .... the Aisin AMT is reported to be much smoother than the type used in the Smart Car and as noted, it is also projected to deliver better mileage than its manual counterpart

Jim
No surgeries to keep me from a manual transmission (at this time) but with a wife who does not know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission and refuses to learn I will also be ordering my Elio with the AMT.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe it is simply personal preference as automotive CVT's do have a different feel and sound to them than others types of automatics.

I have a friend who has has owned three Nissan CVT equipped vehicles over the last decade and loves them however I have driven several thousand miles in several Nissan CVT vehicles and absolutely can't stand the way they operate.

Over the last two decades my daily driver has nearly always been a manual transmission vehicle and compared to those I find CVT equipped vehicles to be incredibly slow in responding to power demands. I actually ended up changing my preferred car rental company to avoid a company whose fleet was primarily composed of Nissan CVT vehicles.

I've driven CVT equipped vehicles from Nissan and Toyota.
Toyota's offerings have better algorithms and are MUCH more responsive to changes in power requirements.
The Nissan offerings were tolerable but much less refined.

I like the idea of the CVT. The engine is at the most appropriate RPM at all times. The lack of oomph with each shift may be disconcerting to some, but it's actually easier on the engine and other parts like engine mounts.

Having shifting paddles and/or artificial shifting with a CVT defeats the purpose of having one in the first place.

The down side is that they are not usually appropriate for towing.

I am still curious about the long term maintenance required.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The feel of "shifting "with a CVT is a simulation created by the TCM to make it feel more "normal". In marketing studies it was found many did not like/trust the lack of shift points. So software to the rescue.They really are continusly variable. And, like Goofyone, I cannot stand them. I do not like the way they make the engine operate. It might be at the "best" rpm range , but for what application. Last night on my drive home, my truck (Vortek 350 4WD) never went above 2100RPM. If I had needed more acceleration , a firm shove with the right foot would have provided it instantly. The CVTs I have driven do not suit me, to disconnected. I have never driven an AMT, but I like manuals, want to keep my money(upgrade cost to AMT),and less complexity. And, I know I will like the manual rather than "AMT may be OK".

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The down side is that they are not usually appropriate for towing.

I am still curious about the long term maintenance required.

CVT can work for towing/heavy work. The weight and cost might keep it out of highway stuff, but all the major farm machinery makers build mid to high HP tractors with CVT. They're ideal there, vary engine rpms to save fuel when working light, vary speed for max efficiency on heavy loads, or anywhere in between.

(These are NOT the hydrostatic transmissions marketed as CVT that compact tractors use).

Like you said, the jury is still out on long term cost/reliability, but so far they're well received. We will see what happens 20 years/10-15000 hours down the road.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM is using a standard automotive dry clutch connected to an existing off-the-shelf 5-speed manual transmission made by Aisin. The automatic is an AMT (automated manual transmission) kit which bolts onto the same manual transmission and automates the operation of the clutch and gear changes.
Well said.

Top Bottom