• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK after just reading all 1745 posts have a few questions 1. Does the new motor (need a name here, how about E55?) have a chain or fiber timing belt? I remember hearing/reading that P.E. wanted a chain timing belt and could this be one of the reason he went with the new E55? 2. Can a person/shop under the guise of ether rebuild or mod, respray the plasma on the cylinder walls and come out with a somewhat "new" motor? My parents were the not so proud owners of the Vega, need I say more. Keep up the good work I'm off to check out other threads on this site. thanks john

John-b-gone, Welcome to the group.
JEBar beat me to the punch on the answer to the timing chain question.
You're a little off on the Vega. It had a cast iron head and the block was open deck.
Had a '72 Kammback. Gave it to my cousin when I was done with it. She sold it at about 130K.
If you find out more about plasma respray let me know. I figured it would require a sleeve.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome aboard john. The Elio engine is to have a timing chain. As far as rebuilding the engine the only part of the rebuilding process that would be a little different would be restoring the cylinder coating. A lot of manufacturers are going to sprayed plasma coating for cylinder bores (the Elio system was developed by Ford IIRC). Light aircraft engines have used a similar system for years. I'm sure that by the time the Elio engines need overhaul there will be places to send the blocks to be stripped and re coated. Just like we do aircraft cylinders today.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
PTWA can be used to repair worn cylinder bores in both aluminum and cast iron engine blocks. This technology makes it possible to salvage engine blocks that would otherwise be scrapped. In addition, PTWA thermal spray can be used to reduce costs for engines that are already remanufactured using expensive over-sized pistons. With reduced costs and salvaging previously scrapped components, the use of PTWA technology can increase the amount of remanufacturing for critical engine components.

From Flame-Spray's own website.
http://www.flame-spray.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=53

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
taken from this link .... where more info is available :

Flame-Spray ===> " Ford durability trials on a test engine show 250,000+ miles of wear (well beyond a typical gasoline engine life), with original crosshatches in the bore still visible (amazing). Fleet tests of 3 million miles confirmed durability. Ford holds 25 patents in this field and licenses the technology to Flame-Spray. "

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Flame-Spray ===> " Ford durability trials on a test engine show 250,000+ miles of wear (well beyond a typical gasoline engine life), with original crosshatches in the bore still visible (amazing). Fleet tests of 3 million miles confirmed durability. Ford holds 25 patents in this field and licenses the technology to Flame-Spray. "

If Cat is using "flame spray" for rebuilds it sounds like rebuilds may be possible "if" someone has access to "flame spray" equipment.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

If Cat is using "flame spray" for rebuilds it sounds like rebuilds may be possible "if" someone has access to "flame spray" equipment.

in thinking about it .... what percentage of Elio owners will actually put 250,000 miles on their trikes .... I suspect that number will be very, very small

Top Bottom