• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apparently most people did not like the AMT in the Smart. That would be the reason Smart got rid of it.

Let's be clear. The smart still has the AMT. The difference between the AMT in the 2008-2014 models and the 2015+ models is that the AMT in the first series was single clutch whereas the newer smarts have a dual clutch. By most accounts the dual clutch is smoother but likely more expensive and takes up more space. So no, smart did not get rid of the AMT.

And to respond to an earlier point, the AMT provides the OPTION to let the computer shift for you, but you can choose to do the shifting yourself. This is why it's multi-mode: it can go to "manual" shifting mode (you "shift" the stick or paddle shifter, giving you the sense that you're shifting but in reality you're just telling the computer when you want it to shift gears; it still does the shifting for you) and "automated" shifting (where it does the shifting for you without any input from you other than how hard you're pressing on the accelerator).

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for pointing out this video. It is great! It directly discusses the transmission and explains it.

I would like an automatic transmission. However I have always been the driver in my vehicles and not the passenger. I am worried the vehicle shifting without me controlling it would be irritating to me. (Tell Freud (idiot) I have control issues) I like machines and appreciate how they are designed, built, and work. The "laggy" shifting mentioned is exactly what I am talking about. There is nothing wrong with that transmission at all. It is a very cleaver concept. However, it may still be irritating to me to feel the shifting without me doing it. Again, there is nothing wrong with the transmission, it is just me.

I wanted to discover how quickly the vehicle shifted. At 6:30 in the video, the shifting of the vehicle can be heard. I wish the sales person would keep quiet and let me hear the vehicle more.

I want to try an AMT. But what vehicle uses it? He mentioned high performance cars, but they would not feel anything like an Elio, and Lamborghini would recognize I am not a millionaire and thus would not let me try one.

I believe that I drove a 1960 VW bug with the electric clutch application. It required some coordination between hand and accelerator. You could not place your hand on the shift lever without activating the clutch. That was bothersome. I don't remember being displeased. It was just different and required coordination..

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And to respond to an earlier point, the AMT provides the OPTION to let the computer shift for you, but you can choose to do the shifting yourself. This is why it's multi-mode: it can go to "manual" shifting mode (you "shift" the stick or paddle shifter, giving you the sense that you're shifting but in reality you're just telling the computer when you want it to shift gears; it still does the shifting for you) and "automated" shifting (where it does the shifting for you without any input from you other than how hard you're pressing on the accelerator).

You bring up a very good point, one I have been forgetting in all of this. I also like that the MMT will automatically downshift for you when you come to a stop. I usually remember to do so, but there are just some days after work where my brain is shot and I find myself at a stop sign still in 5th. (Full disclosure: I only just learned to drive a stick within the last year). I still want to drive one before I make my final decision though.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You bring up a very good point, one I have been forgetting in all of this. I also like that the MMT will automatically downshift for you when you come to a stop. I usually remember to do so, but there are just some days after work where my brain is shot and I find myself at a stop sign still in 5th. (Full disclosure: I only just learned to drive a stick within the last year). I still want to drive one before I make my final decision though.
That's a good point. The smart's AMT does automatically downshift for you when you come to a stop, regardless of whether you're in "manual" or "automated" mode. Conversely, it will also upshift for you when you go past redline in "manual" mode to keep the transmission from being damaged. I assume other manufacturers' AMT/MMTs operate in a similar fashion.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A dual clutch transmission has two clutches and two transmissions, one holding the odd gears and the other transmission holding the even gears. The power from the engine drives both clutches and the output of each transmission goes into a final, single, output shaft. When starting out, the clutch for the transmission holding first gear is engaged. While in first gear, the transmission with the even gears goes into second. Come shift time, the clutch with the odd gears disengages, and the clutch with the even gears engages. While in second gear, the transmission with the odd gears goes into third gear ready for the next shift and the transmissions keep switching back and forth until all the way in top gear. When shifting, there is a brief time the vehicle is in both gears (partially) and that is why it shifts smoothly. Traditional automatic transmissions also have a brief time they are in both gears making them shift smoothly.

It appears the actual manual gear box is the same in both transmissions. It appears the only difference between the Elio manual and the AMT is how the clutch and gear box are controlled. I would think it would be possible to change the Elio from one to the other without much difficulty. Of course, the vehicle's computer or harness may have to be changed to feed information to the transmission controlling computer.

I would like a CVT, dual clutch, or traditional automatic. I don't know if I would like the AMT. It is a fine transmission. It all depends on the tastes of the individual. That is why we need to be able to test drive this kind of transmission to determine if we would like it. This is the disadvantage of being a reservationist and not able to test drive one at a store as later customers will be able to do. We are buying that proverbial "pig in a poke".

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A dual clutch transmission has two clutches and two transmissions, one holding the odd gears and the other transmission holding the even gears. The power from the engine drives both clutches and the output of each transmission goes into a final, single, output shaft. When starting out, the clutch for the transmission holding first gear is engaged. While in first gear, the transmission with the even gears goes into second. Come shift time, the clutch with the odd gears disengages, and the clutch with the even gears engages. While in second gear, the transmission with the odd gears goes into third gear ready for the next shift and the transmissions keep switching back and forth until all the way in top gear. When shifting, there is a brief time the vehicle is in both gears (partially) and that is why it shifts smoothly. Traditional automatic transmissions also have a brief time they are in both gears making them shift smoothly.

It appears the actual manual gear box is the same in both transmissions. It appears the only difference between the Elio manual and the AMT is how the clutch and gear box are controlled. I would think it would be possible to change the Elio from one to the other without much difficulty. Of course, the vehicle's computer or harness may have to be changed to feed information to the transmission controlling computer.

I would like a CVT, dual clutch, or traditional automatic. I don't know if I would like the AMT. It is a fine transmission. It all depends on the tastes of the individual. That is why we need to be able to test drive this kind of transmission to determine if we would like it. This is the disadvantage of being a reservationist and not able to test drive one at a store as later customers will be able to do. We are buying that proverbial "pig in a poke".

BMW M3 with SMG transmission cars are converted to manual. See what is needed below i doubt Elio is exactly like this but its interesting. SMG cars are less valuable so its a way to get one on the cheap

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=444126

Last edited:
Top Bottom