• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Blueskybob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
was just in phoenix and spoke with Mr. elio. he stated there were problems with the AMT they were looking at. now looking at 3 other companies to use. no decision has been made on who to use ect as far as AMT. he said they havent even tested an amt in an elio yet. only the other companies production car
Thanks for the info mumblemout!. Do you have any other info to share?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Zelio, just think about it, the Elio is going to make you feel 19 again, you may want the manual for a little drag racing and tire smoking.
In your dreams, Baby! I was older at 19 than I am now. LOL My knees work better in water than on land and somehow I don't think my Elio is going to be joining me in the pool. :-)

mumblemouth

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the info mumblemout!. Do you have any other info to share?
only other things he stated was that production is most likely gonna get pushed back again. said he is still trying for 1st qtr. but most likely will be beginning of 2nd like may of 2015. said some colors will cost more than others. Right now red is most expensive color to order. they said will be rolling out a p5 this summer. may even have a p6 by production time. said right now they not at 84 mpg. computer test put at 81. but waiting for actual iav engine before they can really test that further

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IAV has the job of drive-train development and testing per the web site. There are a number of transmissions that are in production now that would fill the bill for performance. Cost is always a factor on a project like this. I am just going to hope for the best. Whatever gets the job done and comes in on price.

Marv Cohen

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Presently Deefield Beach moving to Jensen Beach
Wednesday I went to biker week in Daytona Bch and sat in the P4 . It was quite comfortable The usual setup, transmission shift on rt. hand side I didn't look for parking brake handle, sun visor or coat hooks. I asked about the fender skirts and was told that on the production model they will swivel out to permit tire change. The trunk is perhaps 2 cu ft. The fit and finish on the P4 was excellent. The rear passenger area should be able to contain a weeks worth of groceries I regret not having brought a camera with me. Many people were there and they seemed to like what they saw. I am halfway in and by end of next week I will be all in. All I would add is a cruise control ,GPS,DVR camera, back up camera ,and hook on windshield to hang my disabled parking permit. I saw the model of the proposed engine on a stand it looks good. I was told the crankcase would hold 4quarts or maybe he said 4 liters of oil it had a smallish screw type can oil filter with ELIO label? Probably 6000 miles on oil before change considering 0.9Liter displacement and a 4 Qt crankcase.I didn't ask about a spare tire but a scissor jack is included. Also I asked about service and distributors in SE Florida and I was shown addresses in Miami and Pompano Bch. I am closer to Pompano so I am happy about that.

Last edited:

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm getting a NC700 bike w/DCT, (the ultimate), Dual Clutch Transmission.
It is hard geared, like a standard, but electronically shifts, like an automatic, or manually, via paddle shifters on the handle bar (steering wheel)..
Really the best of all worlds and standard in many cars from Audi, BMW and Mercedes.

DCT would be sweet.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately my wife doesn't drive stick and refuses to learn, which is a good thing because she doesn't drive my 6-speed Veloster. I will have to opt for the auto on the Elio to keep peace in the house. I see that P4 has an auto in it, but it still does not have the IAV engine. I'm sure the auto came with the donor engine. We'll have to wait for the first P4 clone I guess.
Like you, my wife does not drive a "stick" and has no desire to learn so I will also have to opt for an automatic

Farm Boy

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Just think, if your spouse, kids or friends cant or wont drive a stick you don't have to worry about them wanting to barrow your Elio!!! More time behind the wheel for you and someone else can sit in the back seat!!:) My wife likes driving a stick.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone else hear that they're looking at a single clutch AMT? I don't hear many flattering things about those. Hopefully, if they are, those plans will fall through and we'll end up with a dual clutch version.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone else hear that they're looking at a single clutch AMT? I don't hear many flattering things about those. Hopefully, if they are, those plans will fall through and we'll end up with a dual clutch version.
I haven't driven a car with either of those transmissions.. Has anyone here had any experience with single and dual clutch AMT's that can lend some insight?

Ray

Top Bottom