• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I stated the trans-axel was ---""up forward with the engine""---not a part of the engine. As indicated it is both differential and transmission ---not separated as on a rear wheel drive. The big picture here is that our ELIO is still waiting on an engine and drive train so mileage estimates are up in the air as no one knows for sure what it will do until the final form and drive system is in place! RB

"As for this donor engine (Metro Geo) and its built in trans----why are they still using this set up? RB"

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well I'm going to post this several places.....I can't find the original thread. I asked the FB page about power steering....their response is that it would have Rack and Pinion steering. I then pointed out that rack and Pinion Can be manual or power steering, this is what I got back today....

Hey Dave, sorry about that. The vehicle will be manual steering but we are keeping power steering on the potential option list. Thanks for keeping the information correct.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well I'm going to post this several places.....I can't find the original thread. I asked the FB page about power steering....their response is that it would have Rack and Pinion steering. I then pointed out that rack and Pinion Can be manual or power steering, this is what I got back today....

Hey Dave, sorry about that. The vehicle will be manual steering but we are keeping power steering on the potential option list. Thanks for keeping the information correct.
I wouldn't think that power steering would be a necessity on something this light. It seems like it would just be another addition to drive up cost; and rob horsepower and fuel economy. In my opinion they can leave it off.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Double D, I found the thread on power steering. It might may not have come up in a search because of the way the title is spelled, "Power Steering?".

I did reread the thread and I believe Frosty received a more thorough response from Elio. This is what they stated,

"Al Elio (Elio Motors)

Jan 15 22:06

Power steering is not a necessary feature in this vehicle because of how well it drives as a front-wheeled drive vehicle, with most of the weight in the front of the vehicle. Two people sitting in tandem inside further mute the need to add in power steering, and this is one cost less to worry about us having to wrap into the current base price of $6800! You will be able to see first hand how tight the driving experience is when you test drive the vehicle early next year during our ride and drive series OR at a location near you once we go into production next year. Thanks for vocalizing your concerns and we look forward to meeting you in the near future!

Best,

The Elio Team"

TexasWookie

Reaction score
Is there any info on the automatic transmission?

I test drove a Smart Car a few years ago that has a CVT (continuously variable transmission). The Smart CVT is totally unacceptable because it produces a pronounced 'lurch' when it shifts. I actually felt a bit motion sick from just a short test drive.

Pleeeeeease tell me the Elio will avoid that ?!?!
I too test drove a Smart Car with "automatic" transmission and also jerked around the block..... surely Elio is taking notes and won't repeat this design.

doug stanley

Elio Fan
Reaction score
the AMT (automatic manual transmission) is just like it sounds , it is a standard transmission with an eletronic means of shifting it. the eletronics are primeralary on the outside of the transmission. it will feel very simular to any standard except for the foot clutch.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are they referring to something like a BMW SMG (sequential manual gearbox)? SMG's are manual transmissions with an electronically controlled clutch. Those are extremely expensive transmissions (think the cost of the whole Elio - with options).
More than likely they mean a standard type 4spd automatic that has the cheesy +/- 'manual' mode. Most of this type of transmission have no additional software (ie sport modes), and they suck in 'manual mode'. There are very few of that type of automatic that are worth manually shifting. The ones I'm familiar with are the Steptronic ZF5HP30 and ZF5HP24 I've had in BMW's. They're incredible (for a slushbox); shift instantly (upshifts and downshifts at any rpm) and hold the gear to redline. When placed in 'manual mode' the software program is also changed to sport mode.

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll go with what one of the first responses to the original question was. If Elio is saying they are using a dual clutch for the auto option that would be great. It also makes the most sense: They are relatively cheap, low maintenance, and really have all the benefits of a manual that you don't have to shift. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-clutch-transmission.htm Hopefully they spend the time to tune the ECM that controls it so it is not 'jerky' feeling. It can be done, but takes time and expertise.
If they have a well sorted dual clutch option and it is not a whole bunch more money, I might rethink my position about getting a manual version.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I want an automatic because I deal with traffic jams at times.. Hate up and downshifting all the time.. My 08 Sentra has CVT which works pretty good but has a little "rubber banding" but not a problem.. Brakes last a long time on my car and it might be a combination of driving habits and the CVT braking at low speeds.. My original brakes were replaced at 105,000 miles and they weren't squealing yet!

Ray

Top Bottom