• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Specs On The Radio With Phone Dock Installed In The P4

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
My Elio will likely have the dock in it however my phone is not so large it does not fit like some of the phablet phones. It would not surprise me if the dock size is updated by the time the Elio goes on sale late next year as the super sized phones are increasingly popular.

I use my smartphone for everything as I run my business and do consulting work from anywhere mainly on my phone and tethering my tablet to the phone for a data connection. I also don't have a home phone as thats why I pay for unlimited talk on my phone which means I rarely have less than 1,000 minutes of cell phone usage each month and sometimes it has been much much more than that.

I have had a smartphone for over a decade now starting with a Blackberry in 2003 and could not imagine getting what I get done without a smart phone as I can work from just about anywhere at any time which also means that I when I want to put everything down and have fun I can do that also as my work is already done. :cool:

Last edited:

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The designers have obviously not traveled extensively in the West - I'm traveling places that I'm routinely without cell service for hours at a time, so having an entertainment system that is dependent on cell service is just this side of worthless. Yes, I can play music stored on a phone, but I like radio/talk/news/etc as well as music.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The designers have obviously not traveled extensively in the West - I'm traveling places that I'm routinely without cell service for hours at a time, so having an entertainment system that is dependent on cell service is just this side of worthless. Yes, I can play music stored on a phone, but I like radio/talk/news/etc as well as music.

This is not the standard radio however an option and there will very likely be others. It does have a regular radio receiver and since it has bluetooth you could connect a bluetooth enabled satellite radio receiver, or wire one in, to it also. If you look past the cell phone part it actually could work very well for you unless you enjoy your music on CD's.

I would say that today you are more likely the exception than the rule as most people don't have the out of cell range issue any more.

Last edited:

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is not the standard radio however an option and there will very likely be others. Many people today would choose this option as most people don't have the out of cell range issue any more and use their phones extensively.
At the Flatirons Mall event in Colorado a couple of weeks ago, I was told that was the standard option - I got a shrug of the shoulders when I specifically questioned that because of my travels. I hope you're right!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
At the Flatirons Mall event in Colorado a couple of weeks ago, I was told that was the standard option - I got a shrug of the shoulders when I specifically questioned that because of my travels. I hope you're right!

That is the first time I had heard that it would be standard as it has always been listed as an option so far. Anyway it does have a radio receiver and connecting satellite radio to it would not be hard at all so it could work for you unless you need a CD player which I am sure will be an option.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would say that today you are more likely the exception than the rule as most people don't have the out of cell range issue any more.
Depends on your area, no most of you flat landers don't have the out of cell range problem, but come up here in the mountains and it is a whole new ball game, you have service for 100 yards then no service for 200 yard, then service for 10 feet, then......and on and on.....

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is the first time I had heard that it would be standard as it has always been listed as an option so far. Anyway it does have a radio receiver and connecting satellite radio to it would not be hard at all so it could work for you unless you need a CD player which I am sure will be an option.
I'll swap my motorcycle gps (zumo 665) back and forth and that has XM, so I'll be covered a bit.

And I'm quite sure I'm one of the few (if not the only) future owner that actually sees this as a cross-country touring vehicle more than a daily driver or commuter <lol> I'm really looking forward to exploring in my Elio!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll swap my motorcycle gps (zumo 665) back and forth and that has XM, so I'll be covered a bit.

And I'm quite sure I'm one of the few (if not the only) future owner that actually sees this as a cross-country touring vehicle more than a daily driver or commuter <lol> I'm really looking forward to exploring in my Elio!

I will have a trailer on mine and will likely take some nice long rides with my portable satellite radio receiver also! :)

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Depends on your area, no most of you flat landers don't have the out of cell range problem, but come up here in the mountains and it is a whole new ball game, you have service for 100 yards then no service for 200 yard, then service for 10 feet, then......and on and on.....
Even on places like I-70 west of Grand Junction (CO), you'll see 100 mile gaps between gas stations, so you know you're out in the boonies. My favorite was Hwy 140 about 30 miles north of Winnemuca - sign said "Next Gas 179 Miles"! You can bet when gas stations are that far apart, cell service is a wee bit sparse....

Top Bottom