• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Somewhat Tough Questions...

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome!!
I think they are looking to call the Elio an "Autocycle". This way it avoids adverse regulations for both motorcycles and automobiles.
We all are here waiting for that astounding flurry of activity which would indicate an attempt at building the actual Vehicles.
I have put my money on this for a verity of reasons but mostly because it is all kinds of nifty. So as long as they get it completed somewhere in my lifespan (sooner better than later) I'm good with it.
So pull up your computer an come along for the ride.
You will find out the most info. here.
MK

Mrtoycrazy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

This is my first posting on this forum...

A bit about me...I'm a 30 year veteran of the auto industry...and a huge automobile enthusiast!

I've been blessed to have owned more than a hundred vehicles in my lifetime...and have every intention of owning an Elio when & if it actually comes to market...assuming it meets the promised specification's...

I have not placed a advanced reservation deposit at this time...my 30 years of automobile experience has taught me that the first year of production of any new vehicle is always a work in progress...resulting in numerous improvements to the product in the 2nd year of production...

I have followed the Elio story closely the last several years...and Elio's slow progress to unveil production ready prototypes has me very puzzled...

I'm involved in over a dozen different automotive forums...and I have a reputation for asking tough questions...

So...The Elio Vehicle is less than 12 months to the promised production date...and the design work is still not finalized.The automotive industry has numerous standards related to NVH via SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). Elio Motors has not indicated whether they will be meeting or utilizing these standards. The major automotive manufacturers go through extensive design and testing processes to address NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) issues. So is Elio Motors utilizing these standards to develop their vehicle?
We
Good afternoon!

A bit about me...I'm a 30 year veteran of the auto industry...and a huge automobile enthusiast!

I've been blessed to have owned more than a hundred vehicles in my lifetime...and have every intention of owning an Elio when & if it actually comes to market...assuming it meets the promised specification's...

I have not placed a advanced reservation deposit at this time...my 30 years of automobile experience has taught me that the first year of production of any new vehicle is always a work in progress...resulting in numerous improvements to the product in the 2nd year of production...

I have followed the Elio story closely the last several years...and Elio's slow progress to unveil production ready prototypes has me very puzzled...

I'm involved in over a dozen different automotive forums...and I have a reputation for asking tough questions...

So...The Elio Vehicle is less than 12 months to the promised production date...and the design work is still not finalized.The automotive industry has numerous standards related to NVH via SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). Elio Motors has not indicated whether they will be meeting or utilizing these standards. The major automotive manufacturers go through extensive design and testing processes to address NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) issues. So is Elio Motors utilizing these standards to develop their vehicle?
Welcome to the forum TexasElio, most questions have probably already been asked, but it's good to have another member that can think of new ones. If the Elio members here can't answer ,I'm sure they'll be able to come up with some warped comment to keep you amused or not.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

Welcome

TexasElio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate the warm welcome!

So...here's an interesting recent posting as quoted from another forum...obviously he has current ties to the automotive manufacturing industry...

Basically...a very insightful comment with regards to the promised Elio production time frame...

"At this point, 3rd-quarter 2015 mass production of the Elio vehicle is a pipe dream...It's not going to happen.

In the rest of the automotive world, the production equipment for MY 2016 vehicles (production start date in that same range) is getting installed and commissioned now, in preparation for pre-production builds early in 2015.

I've mentioned before that I hear about a good many vehicle programs through the grapevine due to my work. The amount that I've heard through the grapevine about production equipment being built for the Elio program remains exactly, precisely, zero. It is conceivable that they are using a completely separate group of suppliers who I don't have any contact with ... but then I'd question whether the parts are going to be built by the suppliers that are most capable and best experienced to do so in the production volumes that they are talking about.

There is another upstart vehicle manufacturer that some folks might have heard of ... Tesla. Guess what ... those cars are built using parts sourced from the same parts manufacturers that everyone else uses, and I have customers that build parts for those cars..."

Any thoughts about this comment?

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome TexasElio!
Have you read about the equipment already in the facility? Do you have contacts with COMAU?
Actually, the person who wrote the post needs to be asked these questions. ;)
I"m not concerned yet, there's still time for them to meet the dateline.:D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate the warm welcome!

So...here's an interesting recent posting as quoted from another forum...obviously he has current ties to the automotive manufacturing industry...

Basically...a very insightful comment with regards to the promised Elio production time frame...

"At this point, 3rd-quarter 2015 mass production of the Elio vehicle is a pipe dream...It's not going to happen.

In the rest of the automotive world, the production equipment for MY 2016 vehicles (production start date in that same range) is getting installed and commissioned now, in preparation for pre-production builds early in 2015.

I've mentioned before that I hear about a good many vehicle programs through the grapevine due to my work. The amount that I've heard through the grapevine about production equipment being built for the Elio program remains exactly, precisely, zero. It is conceivable that they are using a completely separate group of suppliers who I don't have any contact with ... but then I'd question whether the parts are going to be built by the suppliers that are most capable and best experienced to do so in the production volumes that they are talking about.

There is another upstart vehicle manufacturer that some folks might have heard of ... Tesla. Guess what ... those cars are built using parts sourced from the same parts manufacturers that everyone else uses, and I have customers that build parts for those cars..."

Any thoughts about this comment?
The production equipment is already in place. Comau is working with Elio to ensure it is set up correctly. (Autocorrect and my poor typing often compete to the detriment of my readers)

Last edited:

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The production equipment is already in place. Comau is working with Elio to ensure it is set up correctly. (Autocorrect and my poor typing often compete to the detriment of my readers)
Ty, your not the only one who has problems with autocorrect!:mad: I hate it when I know how to spell a word but autocorrect insists I don't know what I'm trying to say while typing!:rolleyes:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the complexity of an assembly line to build an Elio trike is nothing compared to that needed to build an automobile .... consequently, the time needed to have one in place should be less .... the line needed to build the IAV motors in sufficient numbers to keep up with the production line would seem to be more challenging .... I'm one who has hope things will go as planned but do have reservations .... bottom line for me, I believe it will be built and really am not worried about the start-up date.... we see some businesses that seem to take months to build and open while others bring in large crews and spring up quickly .... time will tell

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom