• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Some Engine Info From The Facebook Page For Elio.

Loren

Reaction score
It would be worth your time do do some oil analysis. I would think you should be able to safely run 12K unless there's a warranty issue for changing that often.
I hauled rock at 95,000lbs. used synthetic changing at 15,000 miles and did analysis on every change. Tuning was done at 400,000 mile interval. Truck is running 1,400,000 just did first overhaul.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hauled rock at 95,000lbs. used synthetic changing at 15,000 miles and did analysis on every change. Tuning was done at 400,000 mile interval. Truck is running 1,400,000 just did first overhaul.
I'm not sure when this F450 had its last oil change, but I've put about 1500 miles on it myself since Memorial Day and its next oil change is listed at 4500 miles away.
I do know that our trucks do a LOT of idling, however. Up to 10 hrs per day, so miles driven probably isn't the best metric for engine wear. Maybe our mechanics should install an hour counter like heavy equipment uses!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure when this F450 had its last oil change, but I've put about 1500 miles on it myself since Memorial Day and its next oil change is listed at 4500 miles away.
I do know that our trucks do a LOT of idling, however. Up to 10 hrs per day, so miles driven probably isn't the best metric for engine wear. Maybe our mechanics should install an hour counter like heavy equipment uses!
My F-450 had an hour meter in it. It was one of the menu items just after the trip odometer. I now have an F-350 but miss the turning radius on that 450. Man, that thing could cut a small circle.

Angelo in NH

Reaction score
Thanks for the engine info and pictures. Horsepower numbers seem pretty good for a vehicle with this kind of weight and three wheels. What kind of numbers for torque? Didn't see any above. My guess is that the Elio will be OBD2 compliant because of the fuel injection and emission controls (I'm sure the "gubment" will mandate more equipment than is truly necessary on an 84 mpg vehicle even though it is classified as a motorcycle). Even most of the new motorcycles have some kind of fault code system which can be read out at the dealer or at home if you have a code reader as in the case of the newer BMW's. I am surprised at the very low oil change mileage numbers. By engineering the engine for synthetic oil from the start, that will help with the 84 mpg target by lowering internal friction and save money on oil changes.

Just my two cents worth.
Chris 6800
I just reviewed the video of the CAD generated working engine. I wonder if the design of the valves to the piston position is an "interference" or "non-interference design. I would guess the later design these days . I had a Ford Probe with the "interference" design and I worried about breaking the timing belt.
Any comments
Angelo in NH

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My F-450 had an hour meter in it. It was one of the menu items just after the trip odometer. I now have an F-350 but miss the turning radius on that 450. Man, that thing could cut a small circle.
This one doesn't. Two trip odoemeters, "X Miles to E" and then some settings menu that I've been afraid to touch.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How much oil does this 3 banger take? I think I will do the 3000 if that is what they say.
Shouldn't brake the bank.
MK
What's the displacement? I thought I read somewhere that it was 2L which seems kind of high considering my 4 cylinder Corolla, Camry, and Prizm where all 2L displacement. (If I remember correctly, 2L was the "big" engine for that 87 Corolla!).
But if it is 2L displacement, I'd bet it would take about 4.5 quarts, just like all three of those cars did (as does my 2.4L Cirrus).

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's the displacement? I thought I read somewhere that it was 2L which seems kind of high considering my 4 cylinder Corolla, Camry, and Prizm where all 2L displacement. (If I remember correctly, 2L was the "big" engine for that 87 Corolla!).
But if it is 2L displacement, I'd bet it would take about 4.5 quarts, just like all three of those cars did (as does my 2.4L Cirrus).
.9L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In that case, I'd guess somewhere in the vicinity of 2-2.5 quarts of oil.

Probably 3 to 3.5.

My 3cyl metro is somewhere around 3.5 i think. I usually just put 2.5 to 3 in it and call it good.

It really depends on how deep the oil pan is though.

Top Bottom