• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Some Engine Info From The Facebook Page For Elio.

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A fantastic Friday to all of our Elio friends and fans. This was an exciting week for everyone involved as we crossed the 10,000 reservation plateau. This is the true definition of a team effort as we couldn’t have achieved this without you! This is just one step of our journey as we move on to bigger and better places. How high can we take this? 25,000? 50,000? Together anything is possible!

Last week we answered many of the most popular questions that have come our way. Many of you wondered why we didn’t answer any on the engine. All was done by design because we knew that this week we had the guru when it comes to the Elio/IAV engine, Kody, the Project Director for the Elio/IAV powertrain. Here we go:

Q. Let’s start off with an easy one: What type of oil will the engine take? Can we use synthetic oil?

• The oil that is currently specified for the engine is 5w 20, a standard motor oil. As for synthetic, those specs will have to follow as we are working with our oil partner to find the right blend for our engine. Oh, and the change interval for the oil will be just like most automotive engines, 3,000 miles.
Q. What type of fuel injection will the Elio/IAV engine have?

• Our engine will be designed with sequential port fuel injection as a fuel delivery method. This allows us to control the fuel usage more accurately which leads to the outstanding gas mileage that we will achieve, 84 mpg on the highway.engine2.jpg
Q. Are we going to use a timing chain or belt?

• The all-aluminum, liquid cooled Elio engine will use a timing chain. We chose to go with the timing chain because of durability.
Q. What is the final horsepower rating going to be?

• The current spec for the horsepower is 55. We do have the ability, however, to move that number either up (over 60hp) or down to achieve our goal of 84 mpg highway. The fine tuning of the engine performance curve is in process now to ensure that we hit the targeted 84 mpg highway.engine1.jpg
Q. Finally, what air filter will be used and can it be replaced with a performance filter?

• The air filter for the Elio engine will be an “off the shelf” solution keeping in concert with the overall strategy of using existing parts where we can. As for a performance air filter, yes, you will be able to use them if you would like.
Thanks again to all of you for your support. 10K is a great stepping stone on our way to changing the way you move!

Chris 6800

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the engine info and pictures. Horsepower numbers seem pretty good for a vehicle with this kind of weight and three wheels. What kind of numbers for torque? Didn't see any above. My guess is that the Elio will be OBD2 compliant because of the fuel injection and emission controls (I'm sure the "gubment" will mandate more equipment than is truly necessary on an 84 mpg vehicle even though it is classified as a motorcycle). Even most of the new motorcycles have some kind of fault code system which can be read out at the dealer or at home if you have a code reader as in the case of the newer BMW's. I am surprised at the very low oil change mileage numbers. By engineering the engine for synthetic oil from the start, that will help with the 84 mpg target by lowering internal friction and save money on oil changes.

Just my two cents worth.
Chris 6800

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...snip... I am surprised at the very low oil change mileage numbers. By engineering the engine for synthetic oil from the start, that will help with the 84 mpg target by lowering internal friction and save money on oil changes.

Just my two cents worth.
Chris 6800
There's no special engineering needed to run synthetic oil. At your 1st oil change you can switch to synthetic with no issues. I know i will. (flames no doubt coming because of all the goofy myths surrounding synthetic oil)

The 3K change number is seriously absurd given today's standards. The 3K number as a popular standard for an oil change was born out of Jiffy Lube propaganda and not manufacturer requirements.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's no special engineering needed to run synthetic oil. At your 1st oil change you can switch to synthetic with no issues. I know i will. (flames no doubt coming because of all the goofy myths surrounding synthetic oil)

The 3K change number is seriously absurd given today's standards. The 3K number as a popular standard for an oil change was born out of Jiffy Lube propaganda and not manufacturer requirements.
Even my big ass truck didn't even get it's first oil change till 7,500 miles... Still, 14 quarts of synthetic isn't cheap!!! can't wait to let that sit and drive my Elio!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

I personally think that the 3K oil change interval they are giving right now is just a CYA number because they have not had a chance to complete testing on the engine yet to determine the appropriate interval. I would bet this number changes by the time the Elio makes it into the hands of customers.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I personally think that the 3K oil change interval they are giving right now is just a CYA number because they have not had a chance to complete testing on the engine yet to determine the appropriate interval. I would bet this number changes by the time the Elio makes it into the hands of customers.
That makes sense.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even my big ass truck didn't even get it's first oil change till 7,500 miles... Still, 14 quarts of synthetic isn't cheap!!! can't wait to let that sit and drive my Elio!
It would be worth your time do do some oil analysis. I would think you should be able to safely run 12K unless there's a warranty issue for changing that often.

Top Bottom