• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Should Elio Offer An Ecu Tuned For Higher Hp?

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My experience is that changing parameters in an ECU with a new performance chip can result in an engine that fails an emission test (and I can pretty much guarantee that the Elio will have to have emission testing in those locales where it is required). What generally does NOT happen is any significant improvement in performance. This is not to say that claims won't be made. Believe it or not, but I once read the results of a performance chip in which the tester (quarter mile runs) was enthusiastic about the effects of this chip swap, but when you looked at the quarter mile runs, the differences were so small that you couldn't possibly rule out simple random variation.
I could see no idea why he was enthusiastic, except for the fact that the chip maker had a prominent ad in the tester magazine's pages. My own performance chip swaps (I've done seeveral) have convinced me to never buy another performance chip.
Also I stay away from "cold air induction" systems, after proving conclusively with a neighbor's Mustang, and simple logic, that they cannot possibly work. Or "high flow air filters." In my experience, if the mod is easy to do, it won't do anything.

Some cars have more to work when it comes to tuning than others, one of the cars I played with today gained over 100bhp from software alone.(audi 2.7 bi-turbo engine) As for remaining emissions compliant I have built several customers cars that are CA emissions compliant while nearly doubling the vehicle's power though none were "simple parts swaps" so your assumption that a simple air filter or off the shelf "performance chip" won't be worth the money invested is pretty much spot on.

I can assure you though that when I get my hands on an elio that only weights 1200 lbs I will be making it significantly faster. :D

NaNoMaN06

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Can't wait to see if there will be performance intakes exhausts..lol. I can see if now, instantly bolt on 1.5HP! which would actually be decent. On a side note, does anyon know if these use ram air intakes or will they be like other standard vehicles sucking up air in a closed off engine bay?

JDub

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I think 70HP and a little more torque would make this car pretty peppy and still get decent economy especially if they incorporate a sport\economy mode with paddle shifters with the AMT if this is doable..

Ray
GM has a 1.0 liter diesel 59hp 111lb/ft that would be good economy and good torque for performance.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can't wait to see if there will be performance intakes exhausts..lol. I can see if now, instantly bolt on 1.5HP! which would actually be decent. On a side note, does anyon know if these use ram air intakes or will they be like other standard vehicles sucking up air in a closed off engine bay?
It will likely be a closed off in the engine bay if not pulling air from over the header, colder intake temps require more fuel, which is counter to the elio's 84mpg goal. :cool:

If the car is widely distributed and simple to work on the market will have all kinds of offerings to improve performance, reliability, or economy dependent on each owner's desires.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of the things everyone seems to forget is the goal of keeping the cost around $6800. While a diesel would provide great mpg the cost of an Elio would increase significantly which would eliminate it financially from many people.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
GM has a 1.0 liter diesel 59hp 111lb/ft that would be good economy and good torque for performance.
would be an interesting idea, but for some reason we've had an abysmal track record with small diesel engines in the US. They seem to have success with them in other countries, but here the reliability has been quite suck-tacular. Elio can't afford to get anywhere near that kind of reliability problem. Maybe some day if that engine proves itself durable enough it might be an option, though it has been mentioned that it would add cost. Might run into emissions issues too as diesels have been known to do.

JDub

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
would be an interesting idea, but for some reason we've had an abysmal track record with small diesel engines in the US. They seem to have success with them in other countries, but here the reliability has been quite suck-tacular. Elio can't afford to get anywhere near that kind of reliability problem. Maybe some day if that engine proves itself durable enough it might be an option, though it has been mentioned that it would add cost. Might run into emissions issues too as diesels have been known to do.
A diesel wouldn't be for everyone but a company setting up a fleet it may offer benefits. The beauty of being an autocycle they should be able to avoid emission regulation that conventional cars would have to meet. Not the power plant for me give me the supercharged version capable of running E-85 so I can turn the boost up. :)

Top Bottom