1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Should Elio Offer An Ecu Tuned For Higher Hp?

Discussion in 'Elio Drivetrain' started by tenbsmith, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Aviator

Aviator Elio Fan

Fear is not an option in my home town for power. Where I live in Pittsburgh we have some sharp hair pin turns then steep uphill onramps to highways. My case in point is my 2004 sonata with a 5 speed pealing tire drifting through a turn at red line could only manage to get up to 65ish on an uphill onramp from Braddock on rout 376E. The traffic here can be flowing at 85mph many times. This causes concern as the decision to merge at the yield goes from overtake the traffic to get into the opening or jam on the breaks and hope everyone behind on the onramp notices.

2. carzes

carzes Elio Addict

I do get where you're coming from. I've driven LOTS of hairy traffic situations in many countries. Lots of power can make life easier, then again, so can good handling and brakes. I guess the bottom line is still, how much power do you need? And how much trade off are you wanting to make? If you could only get 90% of enough power, would that still leave you splattered on the highway?
    My position is simply this: I NEED good mpg. It'll save my family a ton of money every year, and we don't have a lot of extra. I like the 84mpg idea, and there is no one else out there even TRYING to do it. There are LOTS of options that already have loads of power, that already sacrifice mpg for acceleration. Let them build this one for mpg, even if it's not a rocket. You can always tweak it a bit later and you never know, It might surprise you right out the door. If not, you can always shoehorn a small block chevy motor in it and have the fastest Elio on the planet.

HHH, Ekh, Edward43 and 6 others like this.
  3. Joe Coppinger

Joe Coppinger Elio Enthusiast

YES YES YES...

AriLea likes this.
  4. tim

tim Elio Enthusiast

Well my thinking is that above certain small modifications like intake and exhaust tweaks, you take the reliablity out of then engine because then you tend to drive it a little harder to squeeze the extra bit out of it. This vehicle is not supposed to be a hot rod, just a high mpg, reliable commuter vehicle. doesn't mean that some geeks will cook up tuneable ECU, or one of the companies out there like Power Commander will not make one that can piggyback off the existing one.

HHH, Kuda, Dustman and 3 others like this.
  5. Smitty901

Smitty901 Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    It would take the aftermarket manufactures about a week to design and program an add on tuner for the ELIO. The Tuners are available now for every system out there. From simple basic ones that allow you to alter air to fuel to ones that allow you to totally rewrite the ECM.
    Autotune tuners are common place today and are very effective.
    The one I currently use on my bike will bypass the ECM load a basic tune that is just enough to get the thing running then auto tune on the go.
    You can then make on the fly changes to any area of the tune you wish to meet your goals.
    20 years ago the ECM was a mystery to most today just another part no rocket science .

6. Ekh

Ekh Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    14847. Investor.
    I drove to the Smokeys a month ago for photography. Then I drove to Michigan last weekend, ditto and some other business. That's 2,000 miles for those two trips. My Subaru averaged 25 mpg (way up since I replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor). 80% highway driving. So... 2000 / 25 = 80 gallons vs 19 gallons for the Elio. Gas averaged 3.19, so the Subaru's gas cost was $255.20 vs $60.61.

$255 vs $60. Yes, I'd like some more power. But those savings really add up over a year. I WANT MY ELIO, stock or souped up, ASAP

7. Injunjoe

Injunjoe Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Well, I have posted to this thread before, but it does not appear. I was suggesting that Elio take advantage of the Automotive Grade Linux to further keep down the costs. Linuxfoundation.org

raybonz and zelio like this.
  8. Edward43

Edward43 Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Well said Rolf, this vehicle is meant to be comfortable transportation, aimed at practical solutions for everyone. Another vehicle that was designed to accomplish similar goals was the Mustang. Within two years it had nothing in common with the original design, or goals. Let the aftermarket do what it will, but the original promise must be maintained.

9. champsman

champsman Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    All my Suzuki cars (4) have had a switch for economy or power mode, now for ELIO to do the same. Maybe a dollar or two for switch and wire extra

zelio likes this.
  10. Mark Ambrose

Mark Ambrose Elio Addict

Personally I'll keep it stock for awhile. After I've had it for a few months then I'll tinker with it. Maybe.

raybonz, goofyone, Bert and 3 others like this.