• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Quick Poll. Yes, Another Poll. This One About Transmissions.

Will you be buying a manual or automatic?

• Total voters

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Job... Keep in mind.. If it remains motorcycle class... This is your free ticket to drive in the HOV lane... So the days of bumper to bumper will be very limited.... Just saying... This is one of the very big advantage of the Elio for me...!
We have HOV lanes around here in a few places that wouldn't help me. In general, any urban area of the Northeast has terrible traffic at rush hour and HOV lanes do little to help.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did you receive that response recently? Recently, I hope. I _really_ don't want a 'traditional' single clutch AMT. Overall, it won't effect my decision to purchase the vehicle, because I'll be fine with a manual transmission. My choice of AMT is so the wife can share the driving when we're on long trips.

The more I consider it I'm really not concerned with single vs dual clutch if the elio is equipped with an AMT. The only reason the manufacturer I was with changed to the dual clutch so quickly is due to the weight and intended performance of the vehicle(2005 BMW M5). Apparently a single clutch AMT couldn't handle 500hp in a 4,000 pound vehicle very well.

At 55-70hp and 1,200lbs I feel either design I have seen would work fine in the elio. That is one upside to the extremely fuel efficient design, it doesn't really have enough torque to break stuff.:D

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Kind of torn between auto and manual. I drive stick on my truck everyday and enjoy it but auto is just more relaxing. Since the engine is only 55 hp, I could probably be quicker with the manual

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Kind of torn between auto and manual. I drive stick on my truck everyday and enjoy it but auto is just more relaxing. Since the engine is only 55 hp, I could probably be quicker with the manual

If it's an AMT your chances of being quicker are slim to none. It's essentially a computer operated manual transmission, it can shift as fast as it can activate it's electro-hydraulic actuators(measured in hundredths of a second) and short of a mechanical failure it never misses a shift. With a dual clutch setup the transmission can have the next gear already selected on the opposite shaft reducing shift times even further since it isn't waiting on those pesky actuators!

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it's an AMT your chances of being quicker are slim to none. It's essentially a computer operated manual transmission, it can shift as fast as it can activate it's electro-hydraulic actuators(measured in hundredths of a second) and short of a mechanical failure it never misses a shift. With a dual clutch setup the transmission can have the next gear already selected on the opposite shaft reducing shift times even further since it isn't waiting on those pesky actuators!

Can't wait to see the transmissions offered. I'm only hesitant because I cannot actually go to a dealership and test drive both a manual and an auto. Just hope it's not a cvt. Although I prefer stick, I like the DSG in Volkswagens a lot

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see the Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) being the only offering, having the benefits of both worlds.
The only caveat being DCT is only as good as the electronics controlling shift points, which are based on a myriad of factors fed into the ECU.

Which brings me to my next thought. W/a price point of $6800, Elio will not be very high tech w/only a basic ECM (on board computer).
Motorcycles have moved to ECU (ECM) and Elio will be behind the curve if he/she does not follow suit.

Last edited:

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not only are they not "behind the curve" they're the only ones on the track.

ECU (ECM) is basically an on-board computer that any vehicle w/electronic ignition has, Elio included.

But until production starts, they are neither behind or on track.

Last edited:
Top Bottom