• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Quick Poll. Yes, Another Poll. This One About Transmissions.

Will you be buying a manual or automatic?

• Total voters

Farm Boy

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Manual for me!! And to me manual means manual, foot clutch and shifting through the gates. I like doing things my self so I know there done right. I've had 1 manual trans go bad on me but that was when I was in high school,I'll let you guess how it got torn up. I've had 3 auto trans go bad and 2 that ended up being to expensive fix so I just parted out the vehicles good stuff and then junked what was left.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it involves a manual clutch I am automatic, if it's paddle shifting with an automatic clutch then I'm on the fence.
I was told by A rep in Daytona that it was going to be an AMT...I won't tell you what I think it will be because I do not want to put words in her mouth. But a search of AMT's should put you on the fence....I think.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wife cannot drive a stick so it will have to be an automatic if I want her to enjoy it as much as I think we will

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a former mechanic I've had several bad experiences with automatics, All my other cars are manual, hope this one will be too.

(Proof of my prior bad experiences)
12914526255_30f299bb5d_z.jpg

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a former mechanic I've had several bad experiences with automatics, All my other cars are manual, hope this one will be too.

Ouch! I've been driving 40 years and knock on wood have never had a tranny croak from mechanical failure.. My F150 had wire harness melt against the exhaust manifold which made it drop out of gear electronically (under 1 grand repair) but other than that no issues.. Thinking you're the exception rather than the rule..

Ray

R80RTWoody

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Ouch, a new definition of UGLY! 55 years with a stick on tractors, cars, and trucks up to stock and hay hauling flat beds, guess I'm too old to learn how to drive an "auto". Like, "where's the clutch peddle?". Want'a make this interesting, go with a 2 Speed axle!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm surprised that the mix is so even at this point... 25 manual vs. 35 auto. IF the manual ends up getting better gas mileage, add 8 and we have an almost even split.

"Even though manual transmissions have been in decline for decades, a new EPA report shows that 6.7% of new vehicles sold this year are equipped with a stick. Sadly, it's the highest percentage in the last five years"
However, in the most efficient non-hybrid Ford makes, they found that 1 out of 4 opt for the manual.

I wonder if my poll percentage is like it is because we have a lot of motorcyclists who may prefer the level of involvement that the manual transmission offers. hmm... I wonder.

Top Bottom