• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Pwr Brakes

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Citroen fitted inboard disc brakes for the 2CV. They could also mount the suspension coil over shocks inboard but is there room inboard for either?.
i still haven't seen how the front suspension is configured. i know the adjustable link on each front wheel can be used to level the body but how does the spring and shock mount to allow compression and rebound control through that single adjustable link from the bottom or the car to the top of the spindals. thats really a lame looking suspension system.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got the impression that it's done via an adjustable coil over shock absorber. If so, it should be more than adequate for a low cost commuter vehicle. After all, we're not talking about a race car....

Having said that, my Liege will out handle most modern cars, even on its cross ply/ bias belt tyres, but it has what I think is a similar setup, i.e. upper and lower wishbones, a vertical link holding the wheel hub and a coil over shock with an adjustable height spring platform and damper rebound. On my car it's possible to adjust camber and castor but this shouldn't really be needed on a modern mass produced vehicle like the Elio, provided they get the geometry correct in the first place, which I'm sure they will do.

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got the impression that it's done via an adjustable coil over shock absorber. If so, it should be more than adequate for a low cost commuter vehicle. After all, we're not talking about a race car....

Having said that, my Liege will out handle most modern cars, even on its cross ply/ bias belt tyres, but it has what I think is a similar setup, i.e. upper and lower wishbones, a vertical link holding the wheel hub and a coil over shock with an adjustable height spring platform and damper rebound. On my car it's possible to adjust camber and castor but this shouldn't really be needed on a modern mass produced vehicle like the Elio, provided they get the geometry correct in the first place, which I'm sure they will do.
well, the p3 suspension is obvious because u can see the coil over shock connected diagonally from the lower ball joint to the the vehicle frame at the top of the shock/spring assembly but on the p4 the shock/spring is moved to the vertical position and the diagonal link is now from the upper ball joint to the bottom of the shock/spring assembly. it would appear that there is some sort of radius arm at the bottom of the shock/spring assembly that allows the suspension link to pull upward and outward but still keep the shock/spring in the vertical position. lots more moving parts than the p3 suspension.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ElioMotors_detail-2.jpg
ElioMotors_detail-3.jpg

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Has this been done to reduce drag?

Isn't that a cut and shortened / sleeved and welded drive shaft? Possibly Geo Metro...

EM has confirmed a few times that moving the coil-over inboard was done to reduce drag.

It is my understanding that the shaft is indeed a modified drive shaft from another vehicle. This of course will not be the case in the production model.

Last edited:

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score

interesting alignment of the a frames, coil/shock and drive shaft. now, with inboard brakes, the ball joints could be inside the wheel so the steering pivot point would be almost on the center of the tread. the geometery for the moving parts not interfering with each other is a challange.

Top Bottom