• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Next Steps In Elio Crowdfunding

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I believe EM referred to the high risks in their filing documentation. Crowd funding a startup company is high risk by it's very nature. I am not discouraging investing, but thank those that take risk to invest. I can't afford high risk retirement investing at any point in my life.

high risk, low risk or anywhere in between, lawyer speak requires EM to say high risk .... doing so gives the company a bit of legal cover if things go wrong .... that said, until the fed funding is approved and/or sufficient other funding is found, I would personally consider investing to be on the risky side .... in the same manner, I consider making a reservation equally risky .... we are comfortable with our reservation and depending on the terms, may well be comfortable with an investment as well .... its good to see things moving forward .... getting the Crowd Funding money in house is bound to jump start the current phase

CBXBob

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone with an production number already made a risky investment. I considered very carefully risking $1000. on the slim chance that I would be able to own early, and not have to wait, IF the Elio makes it into production. If the $1000 was too much to lose ( I realized going in that was a good possibility) I definately would not have put it on the line. The same goes for the stock offering, don't do it if you can't afford to lose it. And don't be yelling scam if it doesn't work out, you know the risk. Just my $.02.:D

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps a broker will arrange for split purchases, back when, there was a firm selling a few shares, so that afterward there was no brokerage fees when buying additional shares from the company. did pay a premium for the service, but after that I was on my own. Perhaps someone will set it up for the possibility to purchase additional shares,I remember receiving dividend checks for a few cents, until I was in a position to add a few bucks, as an aside, I owned 2or3 shares of AT&T before they split, and got less than a share invested into each of the break-up.companies. Don't remember what the process was called

is that the process called divestiture or something close to that ?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
high risk, low risk or anywhere in between, lawyer speak requires EM to say high risk .... doing so gives the company a bit of legal cover if things go wrong .... that said, until the fed funding is approved and/or sufficient other funding is found, I would personally consider investing to be on the risky side .... in the same manner, I consider making a reservation equally risky .... we are comfortable with our reservation and depending on the terms, may well be comfortable with an investment as well .... its good to see things moving forward .... getting the Crowd Funding money in house is bound to jump start the current phase
It's not lawyer speak. This is a highly risky venture. They're short roughly 200 million even to open the doors, and who knows how long it will take to become profitable. Meanwhile, they have large short term debts. That makes this investment speculative, to say the least. Prudent it is not. Heart-warming it may be, but being blind to the level of risk and attributing it on lawyer-speak is, to be kind, blinker-vision. Go read the darn prospectus, will you?

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Deep breath Ekh.

What I got out of that post was... "lawyer speak requires EM to say high risk ...."
When I added in the very next sentence... "that said, until the fed funding is approved...
and/or sufficient other funding is found, I would personally consider investing to be on the risky side ....
I took it to mean something like... "Call it what you want and whatever it may be...
Lawyer speak requires EM to speak the 'worst case scenario' and, IMO, the truth ..."
But again, I'm not going to presume to speak for others.

Last edited:

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure if I would call this a "High Risk" investment. At this point, the question isn't "Will Elio go into production?" but "WHEN will Elio go into production?" And I don't think there is any doubt that it will succeed once it does. This ain't no Mollar Skycar :p At the very least, I would expect to (eventually) break even.

The question for my budget is, "Can we afford what is essentially a $600 hobby purchase, that may take years to pay itself off?" Kinda like buying solar panels.
Take Rickb's words of wisdom.

As a strong Elio Motors supporter, I would have to point out Elio Motors (any capital intensive venture) is by definition "high risk". There is a good chance you will lose everything you've put into Elio Motors (unless you're "want in") and do not invest. Though this is how the big dogs make their money, do some soul searching if you can't easily afford to lose $600+.

My wife is fine with my being "all in" and investing, otherwise marital harmony is way more important than putting a few hundred bones into EM. Just my thoughts bro! :cool:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Deep breath Ekh.

What I got out of that post was... "lawyer speak requires EM to say high risk ...."
When I added in the very next sentence... "that said, until the fed funding is approved...
and/or sufficient other funding is found, I would personally consider investing to be on the risky side ....
I took it to mean something like... "Call it what you want and whatever it may be...
Lawyer speak requires EM to speak the 'worst case scenario' and, IMO, the truth ..."
But again, I'm not going to presume to speak for others.
OK. I should have perhaps read more slowly. It's been a high-stress day. I shouldn't let it spill over here. But there ARE lot of people who persist in underestimating the risk and who then will whine and wail if it goes south on them. Risk is risk, and you don't get a safety net with automotive startups!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's not lawyer speak. This is a highly risky venture. They're short roughly 200 million even to open the doors, and who knows how long it will take to become profitable. Meanwhile, they have large short term debts. That makes this investment speculative, to say the least. Prudent it is not. Heart-warming it may be, but being blind to the level of risk and attributing it on lawyer-speak is, to be kind, blinker-vision. Go read the darn prospectus, will you?

I've read it .... it was written by lawyers and/or every word in it has been reviewed/approved by lawyers .... those lawyers were paid by EM to protect the company .... it is risky, those lawyers say so and they have set things up so that those of us who choose to invest do so at our own risk .... to think otherwise isn't credible

OK. I should have perhaps read more slowly. It's been a high-stress day. I shouldn't let it spill over here. But there ARE lot of people who persist in underestimating the risk and who then will whine and wail if it goes south on them. Risk is risk, and you don't get a safety net with automotive startups!

sorry about the high-stress day and with the above I agree .... we have seen people demanding their money back from an All In reservation for any number of reasons and I have little to no sympathy for most of them .... frankly, I can't make decisions for them nor can I make them do their homework .... its impossible for me to believe that the same won't be true for Crowd Funding and I don't know of anything I can do to make everyone do the level of research that they clearly should do .... consequently, I don't choose to let it worry me or to get all worked up about it

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Things I saw yesterday and today that convinced me that Elio needs to protect its self with lawyers.........

........ Over on ElioMotors FB -- Someone who wants to do a class action on Elio -- not really sure for what
........ And on Fox News the first infomercial from a law firm encouraging people to call to get in on a TDi lawsuit if you got a 2009 to 2015

Makes you wonder why anyone would want to go into business.

Top Bottom