• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Name That Elio / Elio Logo / Elio Marketing

Kuda

Elio Addict
I hope EM stays with just one Model the Elio, from a manufacturing stand point........tooling, parts, and labor........it keeps cost down.
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/d...ff-of-his-assembly-line-a-ford.782/#post-6251
wile-e-coyote-blown-up.jpg

Charlie G

Elio Addict
We will have to see what plays out. There is no reason EM can't simply use Elio for both the make and model name on official documents. There is also no reason EM can't simply list the build year as the model year if they don't want to play the model year game.
This whole thread seems silly, what do people have against models and model years?
How else are you supposed to keep track of any changes that are made over time, or different models?
As soon as any change is made to the initial production run, you're going to want to keep track of it somehow.
Say in production year 2 they tweak the transmission so it has a slightly different shift pattern to improve fuel economy.
How is someone going to know which they're buying, the 84MPG or the new 87MPG?
How is your insurance company going to know that you're driving the 1200cc version vs the 900cc version? Or the one with the redesigned seatbelt/airbag/etc?
What happens when (heaven forbid) they decide to offer a second option in a few years?

Classifying with something like:
Make: Elio Motors
Model: E1
Year: 2016

Doesn't seem like it would bring the world crashing down. Call it "my Elio" if you want, the same way you can call it "my Mustang" or "my Yamaha". I can't comprehend the issue here.

Mike W

Elio Addict
This whole thread seems silly, what do people have against models and model years?
How else are you supposed to keep track of any changes that are made over time, or different models?
As soon as any change is made to the initial production run, you're going to want to keep track of it somehow.
Say in production year 2 they tweak the transmission so it has a slightly different shift pattern to improve fuel economy.
How is your insurance company going to know that you're driving the 1200cc version vs the 900cc version? Or the one with the redesigned seatbelt/airbag/etc?
What happens when (heaven forbid) they decide to offer a second option in a few years?

Doesn't seem like it would bring the world crashing down. Call it "my Elio" if you want, the same way you can call it "my Mustang" or "my Yamaha". I can't comprehend the issue here.
Good old Henry F loved his Model T and saw no reason to change it either, even after Chevy came along and started to make big inroads in Ford's market share. He was literally forced to add another new model, the "A". It's a rule, if you want to stay on top you have to accept change and in fact make it yourself or you quite quickly become something even worse than obsolete, passe. I can see the E1 sticking around in one form or another for some years, but new models with some changes will have to be added to make and keep Elio as the #1 alternative car company in the country.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Good old Henry F loved his Model T and saw no reason to change it either, even after Chevy came along and started to make big inroads in Ford's market share. He was literally forced to add another new model, the "A". It's a rule, if you want to stay on top you have to accept change and in fact make it yourself or you quite quickly become something even worse than obsolete, passe. I can see the E1 sticking around in one form or another for some years, but new models with some changes will have to be added to make and keep Elio as the #1 alternative car company in the country.
People keep pointing out the Model T, but neglect to mention that it was available in at least 14 different body styles over it's lifetime, and had something like 5 different design generations.
Those were not all advertised simply as a "Model T", despite the romance that notion seems to elicit.

i52mX5gl.jpg

Why are we so stuck on the idea that something Ford did 100 years ago was not only a good idea, but somehow the best idea?
Model names serve a purpose, modern car makers use them for a reason.

UCF'73

Elio Addict

I've never seen any reason to identify model years except for marketing purposes. I've suggested labeling cars like software (e.g., 2.1), with the first digit being a major revision and the decimal being a tweak of some kind. This would also make it easier to identify parts.

Mike W

Elio Addict
People keep pointing out the Model T, but neglect to mention that it was available in at least 14 different body styles over it's lifetime, and had something like 5 different design generations.
Those were not all advertised simply as a "Model T", despite the romance that notion seems to elicit.

i52mX5gl.jpg

Why are we so stuck on the idea that something Ford did 100 years ago was not only a good idea, but somehow the best idea?
Model names serve a purpose, modern car makers use them for a reason.
That is pretty cool! I agree, about model names. It denotes changes and improvements. But it seems the T's improvements were lateral rather than forward, or maybe I should say forward enough. Ford kept the T (in all it's iterations) through 1927 when it finally changed to the Model A. By that time though Chevy caught up and passed Ford. So, true enough there were models and generations of Ts but nothing new to move it on. That's what Elio also needs to avoid. Sure, the first 3 years and Elio will still have that novelty cache but it needs to move ahead, because there are those that will see Elio's success and will be snapping at their heels. Lateral movement gets you no where. Here's a favorite quote, "Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney. Keep Moving Forward!