• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Name That Elio / Elio Logo / Elio Marketing

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've never seen any reason to identify model years except for marketing purposes. I've suggested labeling cars like software (e.g., 2.1), with the first digit being a major revision and the decimal being a tweak of some kind. This would also make it easier to identify parts.
Well, vehicle age comes to mind.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember reading an article, years back about how American love their lettering behind the car name, ST, LT, SLV, SE, S, SL, SL1, ect.......you get the picture! What if our beloved Elio, did away with that pretense. My car is better because it's an SL1 and yours is just a plain S. Why not just Elio15, Elio16 ect....? Everybody will know it's an Elio built in that production year. When a different model comes out ...ie the one seater or pickup ( oh please someday) it's still an Elio but the pickup would be Elio P-19 ( p for pickup, 19 for year of production )and the one seater would be Elio 1-19 ( 1 for one seat, 19 for year of production ) Just my thoughts!

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember reading an article, years back about how American love their lettering behind the car name, ST, LT, SLV, SE, S, SL, SL1, ect.......you get the picture! What if our beloved Elio, did away with that pretense.
I'm not sure it's a pretense in all cases. The American auto market is HUGE, big enough that it makes financial sense to offer 4 different versions of your base model vehicle just because the demand is there. In many cases, they're just a fancy way of adding an options package. But sometimes they are legitimate variations on the base model that can only reasonably be done at the factory (extended cab on a truck for example).
But even in the 'silly' case of options packages, remember that most manufacturers don't plan on adding options at the dealership/store 'a la carte'. So building different 'tiers' of common options makes sense.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
This whole thread seems silly, what do people have against models and model years?
How else are you supposed to keep track of any changes that are made over time, or different models?
As soon as any change is made to the initial production run, you're going to want to keep track of it somehow.
Say in production year 2 they tweak the transmission so it has a slightly different shift pattern to improve fuel economy.
How is someone going to know which they're buying, the 84MPG or the new 87MPG?
How is your insurance company going to know that you're driving the 1200cc version vs the 900cc version? Or the one with the redesigned seatbelt/airbag/etc?
What happens when (heaven forbid) they decide to offer a second option in a few years?

Classifying with something like:
Make: Elio Motors
Model: E1
Year: 2016

Doesn't seem like it would bring the world crashing down. Call it "my Elio" if you want, the same way you can call it "my Mustang" or "my Yamaha". I can't comprehend the issue here.

I understand what you are trying to say however what many people do not realize is that automakers are constantly tweaking vehicles and even within the same model year what rolls off the assembly line at the beginning of the year will be slightly different from what is produced at the end of the model year.

Of course all software changes are simply noted by software versions and all changes to both hardware and software are simply recorded by what date this change happened and what was the first VIN # to receive this update. The engineers will even actually have revision numbers for various parts such as rev 1, 1.1, 1.2, etc. Engines are a separate matter as each engine type receives its own designation in the VIN# which is one reason why the insurance company's want the VIN # as they can determine all this information simply based on the VIN.

I don't know what Elio Motors will ultimately decide, nor do I really care either way, however an official model year designation or anything other than Elio as a model name really is not actually necessary as these can easily be accounted for.

This would simply be officially documented like this:

Make: Elio Motors
Model: Elio
Year: 2016 (Build Year)
VIN #: XXXXXX

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's a pretense in all cases. The American auto market is HUGE, big enough that it makes financial sense to offer 4 different versions of your base model vehicle just because the demand is there. In many cases, they're just a fancy way of adding an options package. But sometimes they are legitimate variations on the base model that can only reasonably be done at the factory (extended cab on a truck for example).
But even in the 'silly' case of options packages, remember that most manufacturers don't plan on adding options at the dealership/store 'a la carte'. So building different 'tiers' of common options makes sense.
Charlie, your right, marketing has a lot to do with it. If all you want is cruise control, it only comes with the upgraded stereo, and power windows and locks. If you want traction control it only comes with, cruise, radio, windows, locks, and heated seats and mirrors. I just want 3 wheels, engine, cruise, and great MPG. Other options we're still contemplating.

Larryrc1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
What is it I heard? That the prototypes cost $150,000 to hand build and that was using borrowed parts from older vehicles. No thank you. I do not want a P anything. To each his own, but I want an Elio. When I talk to other people about it I tell them it is an Elio and it is built by Elio Motors. That works for me. But then, as always, I am totally biased and not the least bit humble in my opinion. :) Z
Yeah!,AND! Lets go with the Elio "ECO" short for "ECONOMY" and Zelio let me just "Humbly" say!THSSSSSSSPPPPPPP!:p:rolleyes:

ElioTony

Elio Fan
Reaction score
How about calling it the "Threelio". Giving it homage to Mr. Elio and the fact that it is a three wheel design. And break down the various offerings as such....

Threelio B (Base) manual transmission and no extras.
Threelio S (Sport) Upgraded transmission, Cruise, Upgraded tire/wheels, Electronic package?
Threelio SX (Luxury) All of S package plus Navigation, On-star, Heated Seats, Power mirrors, etc...

Just my 2 cents....and for the record I am only $100 in:)

-ElioTony

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I want model years so that years from now, our first year cars, will become the collector cars of choice..... $$$$$
Mine might not be worth much, Cause when I'm done with it in 30-40 years there might not be much left. Then again I may baby the heck out of it and give it to my oldest great grandchild who hasn't been born yet and hopefully won't be for at least 15 to 20 years.

Top Bottom