• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait, what are those little sparks that we see when you're cranking it over?
Do you have the spark plugs out of it? That's what it looks like, can't tell, vid is too dark.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like it's a 4 cylinder from the spark.
Sprayed carb cleaner down intake and gook a good explosion?

.. except that it's a 3 cylinder ..

I put some petrol down the throttle body, but not a pop. Strange, and is why I checked for spark.

Not that concerned, I'll get the fuel system hooked up then worry if it doesn't fire.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Include the battery in that ground loop check, it wouldn't be to funny if the only ground wire it could find was a 22gauge for a speaker of something like that, I've done it before and 22gauge doesn't hold up real good in a starting loop, that's where you get the brown smell (anyone that has done wiring knows what the brown smell is) :becky:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I went in blind as regards to the gearchange cables, had no idea what I was going to do with them when I got to that stage. It turns out I got quite lucky!

The side walls of the brake booster firewall are just in the right spot and size for 2 holes for the 2 cables,

gears 1.jpg

... maintaining a straight line from the gearbox gear change linkages (red arrows, bit hard to see).

gears 2.jpg

The black bracket that holds the gearchange cables, also supports the clutch cable, I fitted it, was an easy routing, and now I have working clutch
1f642.png

The donor went on it's side to get some bits I need.

donor 1.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Include the battery in that ground loop check, it wouldn't be to funny if the only ground wire it could find was a 22gauge for a speaker of something like that, I've done it before and 22gauge doesn't hold up real good in a starting loop, that's where you get the brown smell (anyone that has done wiring knows what the brown smell is) :becky:

There is 8 earth leads in the wiring loom, I had 6 earthed out, the issue was a small earth lead from the OCD2 check port that I didn't even see, and the lambda O2 sensor (oxygen sensor) in the exhaust has an earth but the header pipe wasn't earthed out to the engine.

Not mine, but here is a random header pipe with O2 sensor, I had it plugged in, but the pipe wasn't connected to the engine, i.e. not earthed out.

All good now.

1648308071616.png

Top Bottom