• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For the last few weeks while doing things, I have also been trying to figure out the front of the firewall, a design that eliminates material while increasing function.

Many hours in CAD design and I finally got something I like, a structure that bolts on the the firewall that supports the lower suspension arms main pivot, the suspension and the steering rack.

So 3 days ago I laser cut it out, 2 days ago was folded and welded, then with some anticipation yesterday, I tried fitting it ... err, no, it didn't fit .. what?

Some idiot named me, forgot to subtract the thickness of the material for the overall height and after it was folded, was about 4mm (3/16th") too tall, so yesterday started over again with the correction and it then fitted properly, and that explains the picture of the twins, they look identical but one is 4mm taller ...

I have more news about my progress coming soon.

1724082143742.png

1724082172244.png

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
just curious, do you have many more design changes in mind ...????
Regarding Design/Engineering/Styling. My hope is BEX has a copy of the FMVSS Motorcycle certification requirements in hand regarding headlight, turn signal, and taillight requirements. Both Arcimoto (FUV) and ElectraMeccannica (SOLO) had to make headlight/turn signal body styling changes, based on height and visibility issues, on what they thought was their production model vehicles. They referred to the certification testing process as, “a nightmare from hell“. As I recall the testing process took them about a year. Just a thought.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've just learned first hand that the BEX project is still alive and well .... things are still pretty much as reported by Mark in his last post which was #2,711 above .... he says there are some things that have to be worked through and it will be a while before they can be taken care of

Top Bottom