• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorheads

mike171

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
What about tranny?
I think I would try to mate the Motus engine to a Porsche 944 transaxle. Packaging it would be tight but should work because the Motus is very compact. This would result in a longitudinal engine arrangement versus the stock transverse set up but would allow setting the drivetrain very low in the chassis to preserve the low CG of the Elio. I would bet that the drivetrain would weigh close to the same as the AIV 3 cylinder.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why sabotage the Elio's reliability with an HD motor? Lots of better choices for powerplants that produce ~120hp/90tq and have much greater reliability than an HD motor. And, since a V-Rod is rated to yield a mere 37mpg combined, it would yield lower economy in the Elio, which is ~twice the weight.
120hp would be a great number for a 1250lb vehicle.
Actually, I heard somewhere the V-Rod motor was designed by Porsche. One of the many reasons the hard core Harley riders never liked it. Pesonally, that's the only Harley I would have.

Rideoften

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Since we're dreaming. How 'bout the new 3 cylinder MINI Cooper engine. 1.5 Liter, 134 HP, 170 lb ft of torque at a mere 1250 rpm, turbocharged, and direct injection. Already used for a front wheel drive vehicle. Probably fit right in.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, I heard somewhere the V-Rod motor was designed by Porsche. One of the many reasons the hard core Harley riders never liked it. Pesonally, that's the only Harley I would have.

Anyone who does not like it just because it was jointly developed with Porsche needs to understand that Porsche actually saved that project. HD tried for several years to develop the motor on their own and ran into so many issues they finally turned to Porsche for help. Porsche had actually just completed changing over their own engines from air cooled to water cooled and understood what HD engineers where trying to accomplish.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since we're dreaming. How 'bout the new 3 cylinder MINI Cooper engine. 1.5 Liter, 134 HP, 170 lb ft of torque at a mere 1250 rpm, turbocharged, and direct injection. Already used for a front wheel drive vehicle. Probably fit right in.
Should probably bring along the transmission from the MINI as well. I'm thinking that tripling the torque may have dire consequences for the standard tranny.

Rideoften

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Should probably bring along the transmission from the MINI as well. I'm thinking that tripling the torque may have dire consequences for the standard tranny.
And CV joints and drive shafts. Since it will probably do 0-60 in about 5 seconds, might need the MINI brakes too. OK I'm done, that should do it.

Top Bottom