• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Model 3 Vs Elio

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Casting stones... bet your cell phone isn't several years old... or your computer... we all get suckered about different things. I bought a Tablo which records TV over the air with better quality than cable or DirecTv (which is what I had last)... I can't believe that we people got suckered into believing it was a good thing to pay up to $100 a month for the privilege of throwing away hours of our lives every day while staring at a device that displays advertisement designed to make us want to spend our hard earned cash on other things we don't need. Taboo, plus $5 a month for the advanced menu that makes it function much like your existing ever (except, I like it's interface better) costs a total of $5 per month. Of the 19 different shows that the 5 in my family liked to watch, 18 were available for free. Gone now is the $140 a month DirecTV Bill and you know what? I'll be just as happy without that one show... Better Call Saul.

It's okay to cast the blame as long as no one looks at our own guilt. I cut the cable 2 months ago... I don't NEED to waste a big chunk of my life sitting and staring at a box... just makes us all less healthy.

Sure I have some toys but I use almost everything on the toys. I do have a smart phone but I got it instead of buying a navigation system because it was cheaper and more portable.

I might be different but when I buy something I fit the model more closely being pushed by EM where you get just what you want/need instead of buying the marketing hype that adds a funky paint job for another $5000.

I think it will be very interesting to see how the EM ala cart system works. Without a package, will people just plunk down and buy all the options they see? Or will they sit back and think about what it is they need and want and limit their options accordingly? For my buddy, he got hooked by fancy badges and marketing hype and now he is bummed knowing that he paid a lot for a bunch of toys he won't ever use.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've considered cutting the cable.
However, I've got the lowest basic cable tier and high-speed internet (with free Norton) for under $100/mo.
Which leads me to the question for all of you that have gone to over-the-air and other alternatives...
While your TV costs next-to-nothing or nothing, what are you paying for high-speed internet?

BTW, my home phone is the Magicjack (equals $20/yr). Clear and reliable unless the net fails.
My cell is a 3-year-old LG trac phone ($67 @ HSN with 3500 free minutes and 3x for life).
My four GPS are 10 years old. They're used Ebay Garvins @ $30 each that work fine.
My home computer is 7 years old and runs vista home. Boosted memory @ $20.
3 of my 5 laptops are 8 years old (7 and Vista) and 2 are ten years old @ XP.

My 2-bedroom house is on a corner lot across the road from nothing but a babbling brook and woods.
It has newer double paned vinyl windows, vinyl siding with new steps and rails on both porches.
The property is surrounded by a cyclone fence with three gates.
Outside the fence, It has off-street parking for 6 vehicles.
It came with an ultra-high-efficiency gas furnace.
My latest gas bill (for March) was $29.

I bought it @ forclosure 6 years ago for $7100 total including inspections and closing fees.
I put in some plumbing, a water heater, a funace gas switch and a bathroom floor for around $1200 total.

I even went so far as to check the local real estate taxes before I bought it.
I pay just over $300/yr. for township and county real estate, per capita, school and fire service.
That's due to our area's exemption.

My '04 'Stang (cost me $3400 three years ago) got hit while parked this past summer.
I got a check for $2200+ from the hit-and-run guy's insurance and fixed it myself for $27 in materials.
So, I figure that the car ended up costing me less than $1200.

The Elio? Maybe the auto transmission (or whatever it's going to be called)
I'm also considering cruise control but will wait to see the price.
I'll install an aftermarket rear camera system myself.
Along with some marker/turn/stop lights on the outriggers.
One thing is a definite... An inexpensive heads up display on smoked plexiglass.

What's the point of a great looking bargain if it's no longer a bargain?

Like I said, I'm interested in cutting the cord because I mostly watch Netflix anyway.
So what, and who, do all of you cord-cutters pay for high-speed internet?

(I sure hope the thread police don't discover this flagrant example of thread drift.) :D

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... just makes us all less healthy.
I've got my stationary bike, my elliptical and my old school Marcy EM/1 lined up with a 39" flat screen.
That's connected to a mixer which outputs to a wireless headphone transmitter.
It also outputs to a Carvin DCM2000 and a pair of Yamaha s115IVs.
I'd be bored sh*tless without my netflix while I work out.

I also run and bicycle when the weather permits (20 degrees with snow on the ground now)
So, I guess I can say that watching the box helps to keep me healthy.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
However, I've got the lowest basic cable tier and high-speed internet (with free Norton) for under $100/mo.
Which leads me to the question for all of you that have gone to over-the-air and other alternatives...
While your TV costs next-to-nothing or nothing, what are you paying for high-speed internet?

BTW, my home phone is the Magicjack (equals $20/yr). Clear and reliable unless the net fails.
My cell is a 3-year-old LG trac phone ($67 @ HSN with 3500 free minutes and 3x for life).
My four GPS are 10 years old. They're used Ebay Garvins @ $30 each that work fine.

My 2-bedroom house is on a corner lot across the road from nothing but a babbling brook and woods.
It has newer double paned vinyl windows, vinyl siding with new steps and rails on both porches.

I bought it @ forclosure 6 years ago for $7100 total including inspections and closing fees.
I put in some plumbing, a water heater, a funace gas switch and a bathroom floor for around $1200 total.

I pay just over $300/yr. for township and county real estate, per capita, school and fire service.

My '04 'Stang (cost me $3400 three years ago) got hit while parked this past summer.
I got a check for $2200+ from the hit-and-run guy's insurance and fixed it myself for $27 in materials.

One thing is a definite... An inexpensive heads up display on smoked plexiglass.

Like I said, I'm interested in cutting the cord because I mostly watch Netflix anyway.

(I sure hope the thread police don't discover this flagrant example of thread drift.) :D
I don't remember right off hand how much I pay for internet but it's around $50. I'm not ready to cut that cord yet. Though, cell service is almost fast enough now... but that's another expense I can't do without.

If you have Netflix and don't mind watching last year's episodes, cut the cord. Like I said, 18 of 19 of my shows come over the air... ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and CW. "Better Call Saul" comes on AMC which isn't local. Sure, I don't get Game of Thrones or other Cable-only shows... till a year late but I don't sit around talking about the latest TV shows that I sat around watching anyway.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For light-duty internet, FreedomPop has home wifi routers that connect to 3G/4G cell service for really cheap ($10 a month for 3 GB of data). I wouldn't stream netflix on it, but if your tv is over the air then it is a cheap way to browse the web and post on the Elio Owners forum. :)

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For light-duty internet, FreedomPop has home wifi routers that connect to 3G/4G cell service for really cheap ($10 a month for 3 GB of data). I wouldn't stream netflix on it, but if your tv is over the air then it is a cheap way to browse the web and post on the Elio Owners forum. :)
Thanks Seth.
Problem is, I don't do the expense of 3G/4G.
And I gotta have my netflix in my comfort zone.

If I really had to cut the ISP expense...
I could go to any number of local places...
McDees, Wal-Mart, DD... that have free wi-fi.
All are within running/bicycling distance.
My small laptop in a pack would do it.

Last edited:

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Automatic Only. That is all. I have cruise control and never use it. It wants to accelerate uphill and slow down downhill which cost me efficiency and mileage. I drive better than cruise.

ps Uphill and downhill are all overpasses in my area. The actual terrain is flat as a pancake.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Riddle..........
Two cars, a Tesla 3 and an Elio, leave Katy, TX at 6 AM and travel on I10 at the speed limit until they reach El Paso, TX stopping only to refuel.
Both cars are base models. Both cars have cruise control. (Which may be a option.)
Which car will reach El Paso first? Why?

Top Bottom