• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

List Of New Parts Versus Existing Parts Thread

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FUNNY, the thing is that NO ONE knows what Elio is using to build the car with, Hell we can't even get a locked in MPG, Production Date or Price yet and you think we know what parts they are already using OFF THE SHELF.

CORRECTAMUNDO !!

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE THINK THE ORANGE THREE WHEELED VEHICLE BEING REFERENCED ELIOMOBILE "P-4 " IS IN ANY WAY RELATED TO A THREE WHEELED VEHICLE 38,000 INDIVIDUALS HAVE INVESTED THEIR MONEY INTO ! I WOULD BE VERY SURPRISED IF ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE ELIO EMBLEM IS CARRIED THROUGH INTO THE 'PRE-PRODUCTION PROTOTYPE"

RIGHT FROM THE HAND-WELDED TUBULAR CHASIS I HAVE SEDN NOTHING THAT STATES THIS IS THE ACTUAL VEHICLE PLANNED FOR PRODUCTION !
NOTHING !

NEXT YEAR WHEN (HOPEFULLY) THEY HAVE MANUFACTURED A SMALL TEST-FLEET WE WILL ACTUALLY SEE HOW THE REAL ELIOMOBILE WILL BE ACTUALLY DESIGNED

THIS TAKES TIME !!!!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ducting, carpets, interior trim pieces, body pieces, a/c blower/HVAC flap housing all have to be custom molded, or in the case of the a/c blower/HVAC flap housing, you could use an existing one, but you'd have to custom design the dash, crash bar, and dash mounts around it.

Also, that engine and it's replacement parts have been out of production since how many decades?? Someone has to retool to make them again. That's hardly "off the shelf" unless your shelf is imaginary, heh.

I get a strong feeling very few of you have ever had to take a car apart, lol.
I've taken several engines apart - mostly GM and one Dodge which is odd as I'm a Ford guy. Anyway, EVEN my 1960 Falcon used piston rings that are still being produced. Bearings, piston rods, valves, springs, etc, are all easy to get. The crank and cam will, of course, be custom cut for the Elio and you might get irritated buying ring sets as they come in pairs or fours which leaves you with a spare one... There's no reason to think Elio would build every part of the engine from scratch or even most of it. The Block, pan, head, intake, exhaust will be specific but other than that, it's pretty simple.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wonderful. You are probably 1/10,000 that have ever even heard of one or understand it. Now, can you answer HOW a TTY is selected for an application, and how ONE TTY is not appropriate to all applications, with respect to *this* car?

Please also answer me how modern automotive hoses and ducts are "just cut" and not molded and how carpets are "just cut" and not molded. I think most of you must own 1960's Fords if you think that's the case.

Pssst: it ain't!
Obviously, not all cars use TTY bolts... I don't remember Ford using any in the engines I've built.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
CORRECTAMUNDO !!

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE THINK THE ORANGE THREE WHEELED VEHICLE BEING REFERENCED ELIOMOBILE "P-4 " IS IN ANY WAY RELATED TO A THREE WHEELED VEHICLE 38,000 INDIVIDUALS HAVE INVESTED THEIR MONEY INTO ! I WOULD BE VERY SURPRISED IF ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE ELIO EMBLEM IS CARRIED THROUGH INTO THE 'PRE-PRODUCTION PROTOTYPE"

RIGHT FROM THE HAND-WELDED TUBULAR CHASIS I HAVE SEDN NOTHING THAT STATES THIS IS THE ACTUAL VEHICLE PLANNED FOR PRODUCTION !
NOTHING !

NEXT YEAR WHEN (HOPEFULLY) THEY HAVE MANUFACTURED A SMALL TEST-FLEET WE WILL ACTUALLY SEE HOW THE REAL ELIOMOBILE WILL BE ACTUALLY DESIGNED

THIS TAKES TIME !!!!
Vassallo actually said that the P4 was the production version and that there wouldn't be any external changes from that. I also, however, read that they were going to put different mirrors on it. So, grain of salt.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In my mind, "off the shelf" means I can go online and type in a part number, pay someone, and it shows up on my doorstep a short while later.

But apparently in the hive-mind, "off the shelf" means "someone somewhere at somepoint has already thought of it, so it should be simple to snap your magic fingers and make it appear *poof!*

Paul Elio: In all honesty, it's a stretch target. And at full disclosure, we're about $500 over budget today. If we went into production immediately, it would be 81 miles per gallon, and $7300. I don't view it as a failure, and we're working hard to hit our numbers because I think we have a decent shot of doing it. That number isn't made up, we have every single part that's required to make this vehicle, we have 87 percent quoted by part number and 98 percent by dollar value. So we can do this, I have the data to back it up.

That would indicate that 87 percent of the parts are actually available. You could probably order them online if you had the numbers.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio: In all honesty, it's a stretch target. And at full disclosure, we're about $500 over budget today. If we went into production immediately, it would be 81 miles per gallon, and $7300. I don't view it as a failure, and we're working hard to hit our numbers because I think we have a decent shot of doing it. That number isn't made up, we have every single part that's required to make this vehicle, we have 87 percent quoted by part number and 98 percent by dollar value. So we can do this, I have the data to back it up.

That would indicate that 87 percent of the parts are actually available. You could probably order them online if you had the numbers.

It also could indicte 87 percent of the final model has been decided and locked in place. There could be variables, such as the change in AC compresser suppliers, that we already know has come to pass.

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1141861,pgname,Engine
I love these guys. I can build an entire GEO metro 3cyl engine from scratch using off the shelf parts, ordered here.

Take away the head, crank and block castings and the rest seems to be in current production.
I didn't look far because I don't have to.
(Edit: Looks like I can't get a new intake manifold either. That must mean Snick is correct after all :()

P.S...Lots of options depending on what quality you want and great customer service regarding returns. I don't work for them, but I order a lot of parts from them.

The point of the thread (gosh, it shouldn't have to be said, even as it is entirely self-obvious) is prove me wrong: start listing PART NUMBERS from parts suppliers in ACTIVE production or from PARTS RESELLERS with ACTUAL inventoried items.

Or, go on believing the LIE, just because it pleases you, I guess. Can't understand why people love deluding themselves though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom