• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

List Of New Parts Versus Existing Parts Thread

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
many RV manufactures have gone to power coating their frames and that seems to work well .... trust me, it there was a cheaper way to go, they would use it .... there was a discussion of sealing the bottom of with a thin shield which would improve aerodynamics but was said to cost a few $$$

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope they dip them in hot Zinc. They would last a very, very long time. Much of the cost of owning a vehicle is that lost in depreciation. The longer you own it, the cheaper it tends to become.
Powder coating is less expensive than dip tanks and hazmat. Typically with aircraft they put in inert gas like argon in the frame tubing and then sealed it with a weld. This prevented oxygen from oxidizing or initiating rust inside the tubing. Motorcycle frames are powder coated. This is very durable against rusting and damage from handling. Typically a zinc base primer would be good but it isn't as durable. The tubing could have rust inside which would cause rust to eat away from the inside out.

Last edited:

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
many RV manufactures have gone to power coating their frames and that seems to work well .... trust me, it there was a cheaper way to go, they would use it .... there was a discussion of sealing the bottom of with a thin shield which would improve aerodynamics but was said to cost a few $$$
If they don't have undercoating at the Elio factory I will have to bring my own and borrow one of Elio's lifts! This helps prevent rust and adds sound deadening.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If they don't have undercoating at the Elio factory I will have to bring my own and borrow one of Elio's lifts! This helps prevent rust and adds sound deadening.

agree .... once we get ours I'll take a look and if it appears that it would be beneficial, I'd take it and have it sprayed .... spraying it with something like Line-X might be worth considering

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Powder coating is less expensive than dip tanks and hazmat. Typically with aircraft they put in inert gas like argon in the frame tubing and then sealed it with a weld. This prevented oxygen from oxidizing or initiating rust inside the tubing. Motorcycle frames are powder coated. This is very durable against rusting and damage from handling. Typically a zinc base primer would be good but it isn't as durable. The tubing could have rust inside which would cause rust to eat away from the inside out.

Yes, I'm aware of the cost difference; I own a DIY powder coating machine which has proved very useful and quite cheap to use. My present fun car (the Liege in my avatar) has a powder coated chassis. Powder coating is great but I've seen what happens when the edges get knocked off a powder coated chassis and rust starts to get underneath. I have to keep a pot of satin black gloss for touching in the damage.

I've also owned a car with a hot dip galvanised chassis (I stripped it for parts to build the Liege). Galvanisation on a car chassis is more durable and it would be my personal preference if there was a choice. I'd pay the extra.

Last edited:
Top Bottom