• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully there will be clear language about what requirements must be met. Elio seems like it will be easy to lift restrictions on, but something like the Arcimoto, where it is in a roll cage and has seatbelts, but is not fully enclosed and has no air bags... Doesn't make sense to require a jacket, gloves, reflective vest, or boots in my opinion. Helmet... well.. not sure. Probably not since your are strapped in and the extra weight from a helmet during a sudden stop/front impact would not do your neck any favors.

My rule: If it has a windshield, roll cage, and seatbelts with no foot pegs, it gets car treatment. ;)
I'd simply say helmets are not required in a fully enclosed vehicle and leave it at that.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's your definition of fully enclosed? I'm trying to get the SRK covered under this... Would Jeep drivers have to wear a helmet if they had 3 wheels?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's your definition of fully enclosed? I'm trying to get the SRK covered under this... Would Jeep drivers have to wear a helmet if they had 3 wheels?
Definitely.
Fully enclosed means front, back, top, bottom and both sides. Of course that would place convertibles in the category only when the tops were closed and open convertible users would have to wear a helmet as they should.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got a response from USAF Safety office. Looks like most bases will be following the rules set forth by the local state laws, unless federal law dictates a higher standard. So I'm good to go to drive my Elio on base for a quick run to the BX or Commissary since Mississippi has already passed their autocycle law (no motorcycle endorsement, no helmet).

You are correct. There is pending legislation. H.R. 2892 was introduced in the house to reclassify vehicles such as the Eilo from a motorcycle to an autocycle. To date this legislation has not been approved but has been placed with a subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade (https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2892/related-bills). Some states have already taken legislative actions to change the definition of this type of vehicle from a motorcycle to an autocycle. Our position has always been the same and that is to have our installations/bases in the various states follow state/federal law when it comes to classification of vehicles and the requirements for mandating required personal protective equipment (PPE). Another key part of our program is to ensure that manufacturer's recommendations on required PPE for their particular vehicle is followed, as a minimum for equipment not fully defined under current guidelines.

No specific guidance has been issued from the AF level on this new style of vehicle. As soon as legislation changes the definitions in the CFRs to reflect autocycle that language will also be disseminated to all AF installations. Until that time the installations are required to follow state, host nation, and local laws on requirements for the incorporation of PPE in all vehicles. As a minimum installations will follow guidelines of DODI 6055.04 and AFI 91-207, which require PPE based on manufacture's recommendations if PPE is not otherwise mandated in existing publications and instructions.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Definitely.
Fully enclosed means front, back, top, bottom and both sides. Of course that would place convertibles in the category only when the tops were closed and open convertible users would have to wear a helmet as they should.
"open convertible users would have to wear a helmet as they should"- what??, what led you to this conclusion?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The combination of lack of sleep, references to Bullwinkle's Fractured fairy tales, Steve Martin & Dan Akroid's wild and craxy guys, and Tom Hanks Forest Gump make my posts seem quite incoherent and over the top silly.

This should not be done in a serious forum. My apologies.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The combination of lack of sleep, references to Bullwinkle's Fractured fairy tales, Steve Martin & Dan Akroid's wild and craxy guys, and Tom Hanks Forest Gump make my posts seem quite incoherent and over the top silly.

This should not be done in a serious forum. My apologies.
This is a serious forum?
I don't think so; but it is on edge until better days happen.

Some things we understand and that make sense to us have the total opposite effect for some others.
Too bad we can just tune to another's frequency like we tune a radio.

Top Bottom