• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agree with everything you say above. I would not hold my breath on the hope for using the Elio for the driving part of a test. When I took my motorcycle driving test this past summer, a couple of the requirements are not possible if a person was driving the Elio. For example, on one test, you had to drive at about 12 mph and swerve at a certain line on the road and miss a cone that was over a few feet. Easily done when your tires are in line on a motorcycle, can't be done when your fronts are approx. 66" apart. :)

It's confusing, isn't it? The Elio is a motorcycle, so you have to have a mc license, so you have to take the mc driving test (and written test), but the driving skills test won't allow you to pass it if you are driving an Elio.

It varies from state to state. The problem comes in in these states that require a two wheel mc for the test is there are a lot of people out here who due to spinal injuries can no longer balance a two wheel. No problem in the Elio.....

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem is that mc licensing requirements do vary from state to state. Future Elio Owners that are seriously concerned should check their own states requirements. If you see a problem contact (phone call and/or email options) your local state senator to discuss your Elio reservation and their interest in sponsoring a bill to change the MC code to exempt it. They will either accommodate your request or refer you to a senate or house transportation committee member that can get it done. Don't assume EM will get it done alone, although working very hard on the issue. You can also PM Mr. Sheltrown to see if he has a current transportation committee contact in your state or future plans to do so. He is very happy to provide assistance if you choose to handle it personally. State politics may be more responsive to a resident request over an outside special interest request for legislative change. You may find that many poltiticians find the Elio as interesting and have as much common sense in the matter as you do.

PeteinKC

Elio Fan
Reaction score
In MA you need at present to have a motorcycle endorsement on your license. You can not take the motorcycle test with an Elio or a vehicle like it. I believe it is a big deal for Elio to get the sales numbers they need when the pool of potential customers gets reduced to just those with the motorcycle license. The cost in both time and $ will keep people away in droves. It makes no sense at all to require the endorsement. The skills required to drive it are no different than a car.

I'm in Kansas City, MO, and was surprised a few years ago when I bought my Spyder...the State Patrol (who gives the drivers tests) told me I could take the MC safety course and have the road test waived, take the road test on a standard two-wheel MC and have no restrictions, or take the road test on my Spyder, and have a limit of MC endorsement for three-wheels ONLY.
I was the first Spyder they had seen, and had to waive some of the steps, anyway. Like riding below x mph without falling over, etc. Also had some trouble with staying between cones for a tight turn test - the cones weren't far enough apart for the front tires if I WASN'T turning at all! My point being, if Missouri classifies the Elio as a MC, they'll have to let you take the test using it...though there's no way the test will be possible the way it's set up currently.

PeteinKC

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I must have missed your point Pete?
Got a little muddled..check the last sentence of my post again..

I'm in Kansas City, MO..... My point being, if Missouri classifies the Elio as a MC, they'll have to let you take the test using it...though there's no way the test will be possible the way it's set up currently.

MajTerry

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Is it true that you'll need a motorcycle license to drive the Elio? I have mine but it makes me think a lot of folks may be turned off by that. The DMV can be a traumatic place.
COLORADO LEADS THE WAY! Colorado has passed a law that makes the Elio an "auto-cycle" and it does not require a "M" endorsement nor any the saftey gear (helmets, etc). The law requires that if the vehicle is turned over (updside down) that the passengers would be protected. NOT crash tested, but just rolled over. IT's the LAW! (like gravity!) btw - some computer type need to make an Elio emoticon!

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
COLORADO LEADS THE WAY! Colorado has passed a law that makes the Elio an "auto-cycle" and it does not require a "M" endorsement nor any the saftey gear (helmets, etc). The law requires that if the vehicle is turned over (updside down) that the passengers would be protected. NOT crash tested, but just rolled over. IT's the LAW! (like gravity!) btw - some computer type need to make an Elio emoticon!

Welcome MajTerry. :)

Top Bottom