• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I found this on California's DMV website.....(copy/paste (note the last line)) :)

Motorcycle Handbook License Requirements
California issues the following license classes for two–wheel vehicle operation:
  • Class M1—You may operate any two–wheel motorcycle, motor–driven cycle, or motorized scooter and all vehicles listed under Class M2.
NOTE: The permit and license requirements in this handbook pertain to two–wheel vehicles and are referenced in Section 12804.9 of the California Vehicle Code.
  • Class M2—You may operate any motorized bicycle, moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter.
NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three–wheel motorcycle.
V-e-r-y in-ter-es-ting. Do you think that means what we hope it means? I surely do hope so. That would be great!!!:-) Z

GoalieEd

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I checked with Oklahoma DPS, and was informed that Oklahoma requires a motorcycle endorsement for any 3 wheeled car. I wish I knew specifically what Elio is planning on doing to change this during the 2015 legislative session.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I checked with Oklahoma DPS, and was informed that Oklahoma requires a motorcycle endorsement for any 3 wheeled car. I wish I knew specifically what Elio is planning on doing to change this during the 2015 legislative session.
Joel Sheltrown (I hope I am spelling that correctly) is the VP of Governmental Affairs at EM. He is the one to contact for this information. Or ask goofyone. He has the contact information and will share it in personal communication rather than posting it at large. :-) Z

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Joel did a followup contact after I made the Idaho DOT aware of the Elio and inquired about possible MC endorsement exceptions for enclosed three wheelers. The best way to get the ball rolling on needed change is directly from State residents and future Elio owners. Sounds like they will be updating the Idaho Motorcycle Regulations Manual in 2015.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
according to the Elio website, NC still requires a helmet .... has anyone heard if there is an effort to change this and if so is there anything NC residents can do to assist .... how about the requirement to have a motorcycle license

Jim

moby3

Reaction score
I live in Central Florida. A few years ago I bought a Pulse Autocycle and registered it here. A Pulse is a motorcycle with 2 wheels on centerline and 1 outrigger wheel on each side. Since a Pulse only rides on the 2 center wheels and 1 outrigger wheel at a time it is considered a 3 wheel vehicle. It is a motorcycle. I need to have a motorcycle endorsement to drive it but since it has a roof and roll bar no helmet is required. There are Pulses being driven in many states. As far as I know none of those states require helmets for a Pulse but all of them require motorcycle endorsements. Do a Google for Pulse autocycle and you will see what other owners have done as far as licensing, helmets and insurance.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I live in Central Florida. A few years ago I bought a Pulse Autocycle and registered it here. A Pulse is a motorcycle with 2 wheels on centerline and 1 outrigger wheel on each side. Since a Pulse only rides on the 2 center wheels and 1 outrigger wheel at a time it is considered a 3 wheel vehicle. It is a motorcycle. I need to have a motorcycle endorsement to drive it but since it has a roof and roll bar no helmet is required. There are Pulses being driven in many states. As far as I know none of those states require helmets for a Pulse but all of them require motorcycle endorsements. Do a Google for Pulse autocycle and you will see what other owners have done as far as licensing, helmets and insurance.

I came close to buying a Pulse back in the late 80's and in retrospect I wish I had .... suggestion appreciated

Jim

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
according to the Elio website, NC still requires a helmet .... has anyone heard if there is an effort to change this and if so is there anything NC residents can do to assist .... how about the requirement to have a motorcycle license

Jim
We can look up how our local representative voted, and vote for someone else come November.

Top Bottom