• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For information on how tri-vehicles are taxed, titled, and tagged carefully read this document: http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/TL/TL-67.PDF

1. Florida has a separate category called tri-vehicles and as such it will be treated as a tri-vehicle. The document does not state what plate is issued however the Elio is designed to accommodate both size plates. I know we have a member, ClubJoe, who has several three wheelers in Florida and I am sure he would know.

2. "A tri-vehicle is an inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV). Therefore, it may be driven in an HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lane." See document above

3. Licensing law is different from traffic law. Licensing law is reciprocal across states so if you are legally registered and entitled to drive the vehicle in your home state you can visit other states as long as you are following your home state rules. Helmets are traffic law and as such you are subject to the local laws wherever you go.

4. This is actually up to the insurance companies to decide. You will just have to ensure your insurance meet the minimum coverage requirements for your state.

True, but if you read the recomendations of the AAMVA, the tri-vehicle rules would not apply if they create a new, auto-cycle, catagory. (see best practices)
PDF FILE

http://www.aamva.org/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=4629&libID=4606
Talking about window tint,coincidentally, I just got off the phone with a friend of mine from New Mexico who was just pulled over in New York for having too dark of a window tint on his vehicle. The New York officer was polite, tested the degree of tint with his little meter, then proceeded to confirm that it did not exceed the required level for his home state of New Mexico. Once confirmed, he was sent on his way with a breif explaination. Don't know why he was pulled over to begin with since he had New Mexico plates clearly visible before being pulled over, but I guess the dark windows could be considered reasonable cause for a traffic stop.

Last edited:

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your state legislature should find something better to do with its time.

Some new pickups tow enough to be in CDL rules territory (depending on trailer towed), do they require everyone buying a new F 350 to have a CDL?

My point is, buying a legal product should be legal, regardless of the owner's ability to legally OPERATE it. I could see a dealer not letting you drive it off the lot w/o the MC endorsement.
I felt the same way, I live in PA and was unprepared for this outcome in NJ, funny thing is my brother in law hasn't had a license since 1983, but he owns 3 vehicles without any issues. Again I've bought and sold many bikes over the years, but this was my first new bike purchase. I just hope this isn't a "gotcha" surprise for some with similar state laws.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I see it, the questions for Elio are,

1. Will Elio be treated like a car in Florida, and will it require a car licence plate, or MC plate?

2. Will we not be able to drive in the HOV lanes as promoted by Elio Motors

3. IF it is a car, then no MC endorsement, no helmet. If it has a car plate, what happens when you drive through a state that requires a MC licence and helment.

4. Will it be insured as a car or MC.

These item will affect Elio's popularity with people and I'm sure affect sales if not resolved, prior to purchase.

1. aside from the size of the plate, what matter car or bike
2. bikes can drive in hov lanes w/o sticker now- guessing you don't ride 2 wheels now
4. State doesn't care of your relationship with your insurance, aamof, florida doesn't even require insurance for a bike
either way if you don't have insurance big mistake, I know Geico added about 200/yr for my 12000+ bike value, and about 600 adding a second car, so do the math, could understand your concern if you are not licensed for a MC, but plenty of time to work on it- take the test on a 50cc scooter and bingo!

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1. aside from the size of the plate, what matter car or bike
2. bikes can drive in hov lanes w/o sticker now- guessing you don't ride 2 wheels now
4. State doesn't care of your relationship with your insurance, aamof, florida doesn't even require insurance for a bike
either way if you don't have insurance big mistake, I know Geico added about 200/yr for my 12000+ bike value, and about 600 adding a second car, so do the math, could understand your concern if you are not licensed for a MC, but plenty of time to work on it- take the test on a 50cc scooter and bingo!
dielk,
Those are exactly my concerns. Bikes are cheaper to insure than cars, and a $6800 bike should be really inexpensive to insure. I would never operate a vehicle without insurance having lived in Colorado and been a victim of being hit by someone without insurance. It's a nightmare I won't go into here. I am a licensed MC driver, but that doesn't matter if the auto-cycle ruling makes Elio a car. You can't operate a car in an HOV lane alone, and I assume law enforcement would determine that by whether you have an auto plate or cycle plate. So the size of the plate will matter. Not a deal breaker, but if that is the case, Elio should not be advertising that you will be able to use HOV lanes, if it hasn't been cleard yet.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
True, but if you read the recomendations of the AAMVA, the tri-vehicle rules would not apply if they create a new, auto-cycle, catagory. (see best practices)
PDF FILE

http://www.aamva.org/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=4629&libID=4606
Talking about window tint,coincidentally, I just got off the phone with a friend of mine from New Mexico who was just pulled over in New York for having too dark of a window tint on his vehicle. The New York officer was polite, tested the degree of tint with his little meter, then proceeded to confirm that it did not exceed the required level for his home state of New Mexico. Once confirmed, he was sent on his way with a breif explaination. Don't know why he was pulled over to begin with since he had New Mexico plates clearly visible before being pulled over, but I guess the dark windows could be considered reasonable cause for a traffic stop.

I believe you are overthinking this as the AAMVA only makes recommendations. It is up to each state to decide whether or not to enact part or all of the AAMVA recommendations into law. What the AAMVA says is helpful to point to if you want your state DMV to make changes however what ulitmately matters is what is written in your state's laws.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
dielk,
Those are exactly my concerns. Bikes are cheaper to insure than cars, and a $6800 bike should be really inexpensive to insure. I would never operate a vehicle without insurance having lived in Colorado and been a victim of being hit by someone without insurance. It's a nightmare I won't go into here. I am a licensed MC driver, but that doesn't matter if the auto-cycle ruling makes Elio a car. You can't operate a car in an HOV lane alone, and I assume law enforcement would determine that by whether you have an auto plate or cycle plate. So the size of the plate will matter. Not a deal breaker, but if that is the case, Elio should not be advertising that you will be able to use HOV lanes, if it hasn't been cleard yet.

good comments!!maybe, with the great milage, we can join the ranks of hybrids. down here for $5.00/ ride the hov with just me in it.
all the best and as the yused to say "keep the rubber down"

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe you are overthinking this as the AAMVA only makes recommendations. It is up to each state to decide whether or not to enact part or all of the AAMVA recommendations into law. What the AAMVA says is helpful to point to if you want your state DMV to make changes however what ulitmately matters is what is written in your state's laws.
LOL Thanks Goofy,
I'll have to show your post to my wife. I've never been acused of OVER thinking anything. Just getting too old for suprises when we still have a year to wait.

I mowed the lawn today, and after doing so I sat down and had a cold beer.
The day was really quite beautiful, and the drink facilitated some deep thinking.
My wife walked by and asked me what I was doing and I said 'nothing'.
The reason I said that instead of saying 'just thinking' is because she would have said 'about what'.
At that point I would have to explain that men are deep thinkers about various topics which would lead to other questions.
Finally I thought about an age old question: Is giving birth more painful than getting kicked in the nuts?
Women always maintain that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.
Well, after another beer, and some heavy deductive thinking, I have come up with the answer to that question.
Getting kicked in the nuts is more painful than having a baby;
And here is the reason for my conclusion.
A year or so after giving birth, a woman will often say, "It might be nice to have another child."
On the other hand, you never hear a guy say, "You know, I think It would nice to have another kick in the nuts."
I rest my case.
Time for another beer.

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I found this on California's DMV website.....(copy/paste (note the last line)) :)

Motorcycle Handbook License Requirements
California issues the following license classes for two–wheel vehicle operation:
  • Class M1—You may operate any two–wheel motorcycle, motor–driven cycle, or motorized scooter and all vehicles listed under Class M2.
NOTE: The permit and license requirements in this handbook pertain to two–wheel vehicles and are referenced in Section 12804.9 of the California Vehicle Code.
  • Class M2—You may operate any motorized bicycle, moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter.
NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three–wheel motorcycle.

Top Bottom