• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jeff Johnson Interview - Autoline After Hours #347 - 9/16/16

Build it RIGHT!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
...."It also adds PADDLE SHIFTERS to the vehicle which a lot of people desire."....
Damn! And I want to young, rich, and handsome with lots of Hollywood harlots... er ah... starlets chasing after me...
But I guess that ship sailed over 50 years ago.
We're talking about a $7000 car (autocycle).
We're talking reality, not dreams.

ELIO MOTORS making (1) version of the ELIO that has PADDLE SHIFTERS that has a transmission that could be converted from automatic to a manual in 5 seconds would save ELIO MOTORS tons of money and INCREASE sales.

Instead of (14) versions, only (7) are needed. Wife that hates a manual could convert it within 5 seconds... and vs versa.

Then there are those that like the control a manual offers, but in heavy traffic are going to be digging a auto. This idea would allow them to switch between modes at will.

Stocking (1) version would save ELIO tons of money... So much that up-charge for auto might be reduced, disappear.. or be waived for those ordering the ELIO with the clutch pedal in the MANUAL position.. Due to the fact making (1) version will be saving save ELIO MOTORS tons of money.

Last edited:

2barrel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember when everyone in the military had to be able to drive a standard to get their license. Oh I forgot, they did away with the draft!

<Political based comment removed>

Last edited by a moderator:

Build it RIGHT!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Curious, what does that have to do with ELIO MOTORS making (1) version of the ELIO which could be converted from automatic to a manual in 5 seconds?

PS: Invention of the automobile has been a major factor in destroying the family. Before the automobile very few people lived 1,000 miles away from their kinfolk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
You know after reading the comments on the last couple of pages; it's great to see that the majority of people here still believe.
The "on the fence" and those that project negative brought everything down on here for a while and ruined a lot of moods.
I feel so much better knowing that we can put the negative to the side, and continue the journey. The goal is in sight, just keep focusing on it.:thumb:
I know it will be next year, and no matter what anybody else says, I still believe.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Edit: My response was posted before 2barrel edited his post, The wording before being edited out being along the lines when the draft was done away with American civilization started to really decline.

Curious, what does that have to do with ELIO MOTORS making (1) version of the ELIO which could be converted from automatic to a manual in 5 seconds?

PS: Invention of the automobile has been a major factor in destroying the family. Before the automobile very few people lived 1,000 miles away from their kinfolk.

Based on your comments about the transmission and the clutch I get the impression that you don't know a lot about auto mechanics. Sounds more like you are trying to solve a domestic issue you and your significant other may have by trying to push an expensive (and useless) idea down everyone's throat.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
(Quote function didn't get everyone)

I would prefer the manual to be a true manual as well.
Suggestion was given to address the issue of persons who have ordered manual getting their ELIO before those who have ordered the auto trans.

It also adds PADDLE SHIFTERS to the vehicle which a lot of people desire.

Another pro to the idea is that is allows conversion between auto/manual VERY easily.

Oh, another idea I had right after posting would to ship ALL ELIO's with the clutch pedal installed.. and there is a latch that holds the pedal in DOWN position so clutch pedal isn't in the way when in Auto mode with latching mechanism designed so swapping between modes can be done in less than 5 seconds.

Oh, on the cost aspect...say the cost was the same, the trans was 110% reliable, etc with the only objection then being theres no gearshift lever..which by it's omission gives a little more interior room, and saves ELIO the cost of making, stocking, distribution of (2) different versions of the ELIO you have to admit with say two drivers of the car, one that can't or won't drive a stick the idea solves a few problems, and saving ELIO MOTORS $$$$$$ money and could actually INCREASE sales.
Such might allow them to make ELIO's in in YELLOW.

PS: I'm proud of you guys for not saying the idea would delay production starting.
Both the automatic manual AND the Manual Transmission have a gear shift. The internals on the automatic are a bit different. It isn't quite as easy as just telling the computer to take over shifting duties. Though, now that I think about it, why haven't we seen an AMT/MT hybrid where there is a clutch pedal and gear shift that you use to shift the transmission manually AND the ability to, say, put the car in Neutral and hit the "I'm tired of using the clutch and changing gears - you do it for me from now on" button?

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Both the automatic manual AND the Manual Transmission have a gear shift. The internals on the automatic are a bit different. It isn't quite as easy as just telling the computer to take over shifting duties. Though, now that I think about it, why haven't we seen an AMT/MT hybrid where there is a clutch pedal and gear shift that you use to shift the transmission manually AND the ability to, say, put the car in Neutral and hit the "I'm tired of using the clutch and changing gears - you do it for me from now on" button?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Top Bottom