• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jeff Johnson Interview - Autoline After Hours #347 - 9/16/16

Build it RIGHT!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If this approach was taken I'd walk away from my $1000. I want an actual manual transmission while they still exist. An automatic transmission dressed up like a manual is still an automatic.

The driver depresses the clutch, and does the shifting as done on any manual.
Based on your comments about the transmission and the clutch I get the impression that you don't know a lot about auto mechanics. Sounds more like you are trying to solve a domestic issue you and your significant other may have by trying to push an expensive (and useless) idea down everyone's throat.

I have years in the auto field and making the auto trans function as a manual is possible.
BTW Reading thru your posts with other posters I've noticed whenever anyone has a different viewpoint than yours you are always make petty derogatory comments.

Build it RIGHT!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

When you consider what the wholesale cost of the auto is over the manual and compare that to the costs to make/stock/transport and shuffle around (14) vs (7) ELIO's 24/7 plus have to make and then inventory parts for what (5) years beyond when a model is phased out, and support (2) vs (1) versions over the long term I'd bet that the cost would be a non-issue.

So if cost wasn't a issue, reliblity wasn't a issue and cost was the same what is your objection?

Auto version of the transmission that came out in 1999 has been in service since 2002, and backed by Toyota so reliblity issues shouldn't be a problem, and if it is a cappy trans why is ELIO using it?

Only additional hardware being added is a manual clutch pedal assembly...and those are pretty reliable, so really all we are talking about is adding a latch to hold clutch pedal in downward position while in "auto" mode, a switch attached to that which signals trans ecu...programing trans so when manual mode is selected ECU is relived of clutch and shifting duties....

It's NOT a case a UNPROVEN auto shifting mechanism is being added.

Last edited:

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When you consider what the wholesale cost of the auto is over the manual and compare that to the costs to make/stock/transport and shuffle around (7) vs (14) ELIO's, plus have to make and then inventory parts, and support (2) vs (1) versions over the long term (14) vs only (7) versions I'd bet that the cost would be a non-issue.

So if cost wasn't a issue, reliblity wasn't a issue and cost was the same what is your objection?
None...at that point ☺☺
For me personally, it's a non issue...my old arthritic knee NEEDS the auto...just paddle shifters are a must !!

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Both the automatic manual AND the Manual Transmission have a gear shift. The internals on the automatic are a bit different. It isn't quite as easy as just telling the computer to take over shifting duties. Though, now that I think about it, why haven't we seen an AMT/MT hybrid where there is a clutch pedal and gear shift that you use to shift the transmission manually AND the ability to, say, put the car in Neutral and hit the "I'm tired of using the clutch and changing gears - you do it for me from now on" button?

Has anyone ever driven the old Chrysler fluid drive? It sounds like you would appreciate it. It had a clutch that you could use or not.

webartist

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

I have years in the auto field and making the auto trans function as a manual is possible.
BTW Reading thru your posts with other posters I've noticed whenever anyone has a different viewpoint than yours you are always make petty derogatory comments.
I'll give an AMEN to that. Every post I made just to give valid facts that are well know about EM and the need to be realistic concerning our expectations was meet with such anger! I go the feeling I was being told to just go away . . . .

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score

You're really not getting it. I don't doubt the possibility of what you propose. As someone who designs high-reliability control systems for a living, I don't want the COMPLEXITY or expense of what you propose.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

..."you are always make petty derogatory comments"...
If you are offended by my comments or opinions you can always block me.
Or just ignore them.
Or ask Coss to set up a safe zone where differing opinions are not allowed. Like the kids have in colleges.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone ever driven the old Chrysler fluid drive? It sounds like you would appreciate it. It had a clutch that you could use or not.

Was that the one back in the 50's that you had to use the clutch to get started from a dead stop and after that it sort of shifted on its own?
I think I had the misfortune once when I worked at a gas station after high school.

Top Bottom