• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is Anyone Going Base Model?

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. You're more help than dustoff. LOL But he did instruct me to search more. LOL
Are there any brave souls out there who support the sun roof. Is there such a thing as a well designed sun roof? They look so fun on a good day.
Yes, the moon roof in my subaru makes no noise when closed, and is VERY quiet when open. A thing lifts up to redirect airflow so it isn't turbulent and that makes it quite quiet open. I drive with it open nearly every day in the summer (and I didn't even want one when I bought the car, lol). My worry is that the Elio roof line won't be shallow enough to accommodate a moonroof that is as effective as mine - i guess we'll see

Last edited:

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a well designed sun roof? They look so fun on a good day.

The sun roof in my Mazda3 works very well. No rattles and no leaks after 6 years. Now if I could get my hands on the moron that designed that baby-rattle of a glove box door...

Going back to the original topic of the thread, I'm buying the base model. Even the base model is better equipped than my first 3 cars were.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
(1) Noisy (2) after a few years becomes a leaky rainroof.
Thanks Josh.
Perhaps I'm naive but what with all the new space age materials, Perhaps there's hope. I use "spectra thread" on my RC sailboat. It's stronger than kevlar tons cheaper and impervious to infrared sunlight damage when colored black. Whoops I revealed another of my useless hobbies.

Additionally and for all you barbeque and leather fanatics out there, I'm told that my Element's cloth interior is completely waterproof and takes a direct water hose spraying all inside. That is with the exception of the dashboard. Not about to test that though.
Screw your pulled barbeque. I order mine "jumbo white sliced". LOL
PS this cloth wears like iron. Lets give Lear a call and see what they say about the cloth they use for the Elio.

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Josh.
Perhaps I'm naive but what with all the new space age materials, Perhaps there's hope. I use "spectra thread" on my RC sailboat. It's stronger than kevlar tons cheaper and impervious to infrared sunlight damage when colored black. Whoops I revealed another of my useless hobbies.

Additionally and for all you barbeque and leather fanatics out there, I'm told that my Element's cloth interior is completely waterproof and takes a direct water hose spraying all inside. That is with the exception of the dashboard. Not about to test that though.
PS this cloth wears like iron. Lets give Lear a call and see what they say about the cloth they use for the Elio.
After my parents' Nissan Altima I swore off rainroofs. Glad some other people have had better experiences.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has there been any option for enhanced muffler or electric motor. Most motorcycle motors are pretty loud I know this motor is purpose built but will it be loud?
On the Flip side I would like an engine option for long trip takers I would love to go to Fla on a tank

welcome aboard- you're in the right place for the best info about our car, your also on the best site for endless speculation as we fill the time sharing our hopes and dreams. Lots of really good technical information(way over my head), but do enjoy reading the gear heads discussing "stuff" There are many here with backgrounds in the industry and explanations of the process of designing and building a car is amazing, Schtick as in yiddish?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Josh.

Thanks Josh.

I sail Solings down here.

Top Bottom