• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Couldn't Wait

Chris Los

Elio Fan
Reaction score
EV's won't wipe out the car industry...........the car industry will adapt to the new technology. Things change.

EV's will have more impact on big oil............and big oil is probably investing more resources to take control of big electric as we speak.
Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. What I am saying is EV cars and Solar in general is a disruptive technology that will eventually end up as the predominate "local" power source. We will still need diesel/gas/biodiesel to move things at a distance but once electric is widely adopted, gas companies will become energy companies even more than they are now. It is already happening. Total Petroleum has a 63% share of Sunpower which just announced today, the most efficient solar panels yet (23%). I think gas will be cheap eventually due to decreased demand. Gasoline cars may eventually become a novelty (by the end of my life). I also see power companies needing to adapt because once batteries hit the sweet spot in terms of price, there will be lots of people leaving the grid. The business model is predicated on selling power at market cost and charging to service the grid. This model will no longer be viable in time. Auto's will adapt to whatever it will take to sell a car - to your point. I eventually see the paint serving as the solar cell and more of the hard parts serving as a battery. Eventually the car may even become a disposable. Exciting times.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EVs will not wipe out anything in our lifetime . It's naive to believe that everyone prefers rolling toasters over Internal Combustion engines . Granted , there will come a day when Govt removes most choices , but thankfully I won't live to see it .

Or alternately, in 2030 we'll see "the Singularity", the moment when a computer is made that is as powerful as the human brain, and it begins designing computers that are even more powerful, which in turn designs computers that are even more powerful, ad infinitum. We'll either see leaps in science and society that make the industrial revolution look like the bronze age, or we'll see a robot uprising and world war that leaves us all in the stone age.

Assuming we don't all die, I expect we'll see tremendous leaps in automotive technology.

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't wait. 2016 Chevrolet Cruze Limited. Pick it up next week.
I bought a diesel 2014 Cruze. We named it Tom;-). On a recent trip south I got 65.1 MPG for 50 miles. You can set the thing to tell you what mileage you are getting at the present instant and what you are getting over the last 25 miles or what you are getting over the last 50 miles. Very informative. I still want my Elio!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a diesel 2014 Cruze. We named it Tom;-). On a recent trip south I got 65.1 MPG for 50 miles. You can set the thing to tell you what mileage you are getting at the present instant and what you are getting over the last 25 miles or what you are getting over the last 50 miles. Very informative. I still want my Elio!
65.1? was it all down hill; or is that just what the little meter in the car said?

Did Volkswagen program the ECU on that too?

2014 Chevrolet Cruze diesel review: 50 mpg, 700 miles between fill-ups from a decent compact | ExtremeTech

ThreeWheelBurnin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not hard for a thoughtful driver to beat EPA ratings in well-designed cars. My gas-powered Insight is rated at 50 MPG, but I routinely get 65-70 in warm weather.
My current streak in my Volt is over 700 miles without a drop of gas. I have yet to use a full 9 gallon tank of gas. 1700 miles so far on a tank of gas. It helps that my daily commute is well within the battery capacity of the car. I still want my Elio, though.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Forester gives mileage for a given trip, updated in 'real' time in .3 gallon increments. Problem is it lies through the gap in its teeth. When you check mileage by dividing the miles between fillups by what you pumped to fill it, it is invariably a full mpg lower than the car reports. Sometimes a bit more than that.

I think this is done intentionally. Just as the speedo on my bike reads 10 to 12 percent high. I would much rather have honest data then feel good bullshit. Let's hope Elio doesn't pull this nonsense.

Last edited:

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
65.1? was it all down hill; or is that just what the little meter in the car said?

Did Volkswagen program the ECU on that too?

2014 Chevrolet Cruze diesel review: 50 mpg, 700 miles between fill-ups from a decent compact | ExtremeTech

It was the stretch of I29 between Springfield MO and Omaha NE. Flat and smooth. Had a slight quartering tail wind too. I did not draft any semi trucks or overinflate the tires or take out the other seats or any other funny tricks. The figure comes from the display on the dash but it seems to be pretty accurate. I have only checked the mileage a couple of times but the "meter" and my paper and pencil agreed pretty well.The engine is made in Italy so I doubt that VW played any part.

Top Bottom