• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Couldn't Wait

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the comments in:
2017 Subaru Forester: Updated Looks, Turbo Gets Torque Vectoring - Official Photos and Info

"What happens is this:

After testing, the EPA gives each car a "range" of fuel economy. you used to be able to see it on the fuel economy sticker, where it would say "range between 22-28 city and 34-42 highway" (as an example). usually in the past, the automaker would pick something in the middle, say 23, 24, 25 city and 37, 38, 39 highway. now with the new "easy" stickers, the bar that shows the "range" is no longer there. automakers can pick what they advertise.

Some, such as Honda, VW, and Subaru, choose numbers at the lower end of the spectrum. that means most owners are pleasantly surprised. others like Ford, Kiundai, and Chevrolet pick numbers at the higher end for eye-popping advertisements but end up disappointing a fair bit of people and two of the above have been sued recently over it. Most automakers like Toyota just pick something in the middle."

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My current streak in my Volt is over 700 miles without a drop of gas.
Yeah, but you cheat. :D

th?&id=OIP.Me38bf0daf7ca6159dc1fad9a37e3aa9dH0&w=299&h=204&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My current streak in my Volt is over 700 miles without a drop of gas. I have yet to use a full 9 gallon tank of gas. 1700 miles so far on a tank of gas. It helps that my daily commute is well within the battery capacity of the car. I still want my Elio, though.

just curious, does the Volt have any way to drain the fuel tank? I would be worried about the gas going bad after 6 months or so.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
just curious, does the Volt have any way to drain the fuel tank? I would be worried about the gas going bad after 6 months or so.
It won't go bad after 6 months, even when contaminated with ethanol like almost all gas is now.

The Volt has a “engine and fuel maintenance mode”, aka "forced burn" mode that will run the engine to use up the gasoline every so often.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if Elio got the ATVM loan today, they still have to tool up the factory and then ramp up production. That would take at least a year. Assuming they've already done some tooling at the factory they might get a few elio's out the door by the end of the year. I'm a mechanical engineer and I've been involved with starting up new production lines. I don't see Elio doing much with the production line plans until AFTER all goes well with the E-series vehicles. Assuming they had access to all the cash they needed I'd be shocked if they started production less than 9 months after E-series testing. If the E-series testing reveals design flaws then you can tack on an additional 6-12 months to fix design flaws. Granted my experience is not in vehicle production but I don't think I would be that far off.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but just trying to provide some perspective. I'd be ecstatic to be proven wrong and bring my Elio home for Christmas but I'm not holding my breath. I'm hoping I actually get mine mid 2017 but I'm not optimistic about that date either.

I just hate it when someone says what I actually believe. I am happier thinking I will get my car in Feb. My parade is already soaked. My truck got hit last Sat. I have had it 25 years. I don't think I will keep it. I need the Elio for my optional car.

ThreeWheelBurnin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Like others said, it has an automatic maintenance mode that'll burn the fuel before it gets too old. I haven't yet encountered this. I did put in some Sta-bil just in case. My understanding is that the fuel system is better sealed than in most other cars as well. Some of the volatiles that might normally evaporate through a carbon filter are less likely to do so on the Volt. Some of the more hard-core Volt drivers only keep about a gallon in the tank, so if maintenance mode does kick in, it'll just burn a gallon. I'm not that hard-core. Once I get to 1000 straight EV miles, I might burn some gas every now and then.

Top Bottom