• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Function & Cost Of Amt Vs Manual: Interesting...

Avards

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a "hill holder", something similar to that which was introduced around 1936 by Studebaker & Bendix, will be incorporated into the proposed AMT design. The device automatically engaged the brakes in order to keep the vehicle from rolling backwards on hills when stopped, and the clutch engaged. As the clutch pedal was released, the hill holder disengaged. If such a feature is not built into the AMT, one might be forced to apply the brake with one's left foot, and then bring the engine up to speed using the accelerator while slowly releasing the brakes in order not to roll back. I think that Subaru has something similar to the hill holder on some of their vehicles now.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a "hill holder", something similar to that which was introduced around 1936 by Studebaker & Bendix, will be incorporated into the proposed AMT design. The device automatically engaged the brakes in order to keep the vehicle from rolling backwards on hills when stopped, and the clutch engaged. As the clutch pedal was released, the hill holder disengaged. If such a feature is not built into the AMT, one might be forced to apply the brake with one's left foot, and then bring the engine up to speed using the accelerator while slowly releasing the brakes in order not to roll back. I think that Subaru has something similar to the hill holder on some of their vehicles now.
My MT Fiat 500 has it, it uses the brakes to hill-hold, it was a bit odd at first (yes you can turn it off through the menus), but I like the feature a lot now, seems like the computer can tell even on small hills if it's needed (works both up and down hills also). Not sure if there are any plans for the Elio to have something similar, but I had to add my 2¢.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
My MT Fiat 500 has it, it uses the brakes to hill-hold, it was a bit odd at first (yes you can turn it off through the menus), but I like the feature a lot now, seems like the computer can tell even on small hills if it's needed (works both up and down hills also). Not sure if there are any plans for the Elio to have something similar, but I had to add my 2¢.
It's not anything I've heard about in the works; but I don't think anyone has ever brought it up before.

In my Nitro (4wd) it's called "Roll Control"; I don't have the option of turning it on or off though, it engages if I stop on a hill; when I take my foot off the brake, it will sense that it's rolling backwards and re-apply the brakes.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not anything I've heard about in the works; but I don't think anyone has ever brought it up before.

In my Nitro (4wd) it's called "Roll Control"; I don't have the option of turning it on or off though, it engages if I stop on a hill; when I take my foot off the brake, it will sense that it's rolling backwards and re-apply the brakes.
With the Fiat, there is no rolling, it just stays put for 2 seconds (if you are not quick on the clutch it will roll back, but you basically have to be asleep for this to happen), at first I thought Id turn it off (I am good with stick shift), but I found it wasn't too intrusive, and I wound up liking it.

Sr.MailMan

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Subaru has that on their standard transmissions. Clutch to floor,foot on brake to set it. Then foot off brake pedal.
Only downside is IF you want to go backwards,after you set it.
You must go forward,a little,to unlock it.(You learn real fast how to do that...)

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After reading all of the gobble-de-gook on transmissions and their attempts to simulate what people in manual shift transmission cars do I am starting to think that if you don't use a real manual transmission car for your road test there should be a restriction on your drivers license. Clutch, Brake, Gas, Shifter, Hand Brake. Learn to drive that configuration and you can pretty much handle anything.

Top Bottom