• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust Upgrades?

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As you can tell by my avatar, I ride a motorcycle with an engine very similar to the Elio. It's an inline 3 cylinder, low perfomance (70HP), 900cc motor. I, personally, would like to hear a little exhaust note. Nothing sounds like a triple. Some articles in bike magazines from years gone by, compared it to a Super Marine Spitfire warming up on the runway. I can't say I hear that, but it still has a unique sound. From experience with an inline 3cyl., BEWARE the center cylinder! That's the one that will never run right snuggled in between the two outside cooler running cylinders. Mine is run with carbs, so I'm hoping fuel injection cures the iritants of trying to get that hotter cylinder run like the outside cooler ones. Goofyone, this is directed at you. You seem to have a strong bike knowledge, and basically, this is what we're going to be dealing with. Wanna come over and wrench on my bike for kicks (LOL).

Last edited:

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As you can tell by my avatar, I ride a motorcycle with an engine very similar to the Elio. It's an inline 3 cylinder, low perfomance (70HP), 900cc motor. I, personally, would like to hear a little exhaust note. Nothing sounds like a triple. Some articles in bike magazines from years gone by, compared it to a Super Marine Spitfire warming up on the runway. I can't say I hear that, but it still has a unique sound. From experience with an inline 3cyl., BEWARE the center cylinder! That's the one that will never run right snuggled in between the two outside cooler running cylinders. Mine is run with carbs, so I'm hoping fuel injection cures the iritants of trying to get that hotter cylinder run like the outside cooler ones. Goofyone, this is directed at you. You seem to have a strong bike knowledge, and basically, this is what we're going to be dealing with. Wanna come over and wrench on my bike for kicks (LOL).
It's My understanding that water cooling really helps to keep that center cylinder nearer the temp of those on the outside.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

The sound of this motor should be pretty neat as all triples have a unique sound.

The water cooling (as mentioned by Zipper) , and the better thermal conductivity of the ceramic coated cylinders vs steel cylinder linings should make for an engine that is cooled petty effectively. Throw in the fuel injection which should be able to correct for any minor cylinder variations and this motor should consistently run just fine.

I'll help you if you help me. I have a garage full of projects that keep getting pushed back. :D

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
hopefully the aftermarket will take to this car, I would love to see and hear an aftermarket exhaust for the 3 cyl.....the Triumph motorcycles have a very distinct and awesome sound (in my opinion) and add a litter HP boost too!
I'm thinking, remove the rear shroud, chrome the rear wheel and some of the other visible parts, install a chrome up-swept exhaust with a sound somewhere between the Harley and the Wing. Its got to 'Have Some Chrome'.

I learned a Long time ago to not buy 14k Gold trinkets and give them away but instead buy 24K Chrome and put it on the bikes. Seems like a better investment, still have most all the Chrome I ever bought.

As my daily commute is only 6 blocks, I'm not into the Elio for Extreme MPGs but purely for the FUN factor.At least until I retire, then my mileage will go thru the Roof.

Top Bottom