• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust System

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It appears to me (providing there's room) a better location for the muffler would be along side the swing arm under the rear cover. Aerodynamically that's one more part not hanging out in the slipstream. A less obvious advantage is that by dumping the exhaust into the low pressure area behind the Kamm cutoff it may even raise the pressure slightly, contributing to aerodynamic efficiency. Of course this would need to be verified in a wind tunnel.
The reason why the exhaust needs to exit in front of the rear seat is simply because the fuel tank is in the way as it takes up all the space between the frame rails under the rear seat base.

The good news is that the exhaust should be tucked up, out of the slipstream, between the frame rails and should not hang down below the vehicle.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Exhaust location may need to be tweaked a bit when the engine is installed. Getting the ground clearance should not be that big a deal. Just to many options out there to solve that .

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
From conversations a number of members have had with Elio Motors employees we know everything will be tucked up between the frame rails because this vehicle is being designed to accommodate an undertray should it be needed. What we have been told is that the decision whether the undertray will be a standard item has not yet been finalized as it will likely come down to a balance of cost vs fuel mileage performance without the undertray.

The underside aerodynamics of this vehicle have always intrigued me as that rear tire must create a good bit of disruption to smooth airflow. I have wondered about the possibility of an undertray designed to move as much air as possible smoothly around that rear tire. Just one of many possible aftermarket ideas which have been rumbling around in my head for a while.

Last edited:

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From conversations a number of members have had with Elio Motors employees we know everything will be tucked up between the frame rails because this vehicle is being designed to accommodate an undertray should it be needed. What we have been told is that the decision whether the undertray will be a standard item has not yet been finalized as it will likely come down to a balance of cost vs fuel mileage performance without the undertray.

The underside aerodynamics of this vehicle have always intrigued me as that rear tire must create a good bit of disruption to smooth airflow. I have wondered about the possibility of an undertray designed to move as much air as possible smoothly around that rear tire. Just one of many possible aftermarket ideas which have been rumbling around in my head for a while.
u still have to clear the speed bumps with what ever u have under the vehicle and a faring in front of the rear tire is probably not gonna survive.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
u still have to clear the speed bumps with what ever u have under the vehicle and a faring in front of the rear tire is probably not gonna survive.

Very true and I had actually thought about that also so what I have been thinking about is not necessarily a low hanging physical fairing but instead creating an undertray which could create a sort of air curtain effect which could accomplish much of what a physical fairing could accomplish.

All I need is someone who has access to, and knows how to use, computational fluid dynamics simulation software and eventually a wind tunnel for testing would be nice also. ;):D

Last edited:

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very true and I had actually thought about that also so what I have been thinking about is not necessarily a low hanging physical fairing but instead creating an undertray which could create a sort of air curtain effect which could accomplish much of what a physical fairing could accomplish.
instead of being concerned with the underside faring, maybe and air dam in the front would cover all the bases. made from a flexable, rubber like material, it could survive the occasional road irregularities and could be easily replaced if damaged.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I realize that this forum, and this thread is about our Elio's, but here is an article about the assembly line and manufacturing of The Tesla. I found it to be very interesting and perhaps a little bit relevant to some of the processes that the Elio will be going through up in Shreveport.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/8_lfxPI5ObM?rel=0
Manufacturing their own parts from raw materials........I had no idea. Interesting........thanks for the link!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
instead of being concerned with the underside faring, maybe and air dam in the front would cover all the bases. made from a flexable, rubber like material, it could survive the occasional road irregularities and could be easily replaced if damaged.

Trust me, the underside has not been the only thing I have thought about.:D

I have thought about about replacements for the front end, front fenders and rear wheel cover also along with a multitude of other additions and modifications. My thinking about all these items has been focused on three different potential markets I have identified.
The first market is essentially hypermilers who want items, such as the air shaping undertray, which are designed to minimize drag and/or maximize fuel economy.
The second market is for people focused on serious performance improvements in vehicle handling and overall vehicle performance which can be accomplished with some handling focused aero mods as well as performance oriented suspension and engine tuning mods.
The third market is for those people focused on vehicle appearance and would very likely include some of the products from the other categories as well as some products aimed solely at changing this vehicles appearance.

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If this project goes off like its supposed to with 200,000 + added on the road each year you bet there will be hinz 57 verity of Elios out there and stuff we haven't even thought of being deployed.
MK

Top Bottom