• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust System

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no reason the exhaust can't run short out the side near the front or mid way. The ELIO engine is small engine. The volume of exhaust will be small. Also long runs of an exhaust system created other problems. It the exhaust cools to much as it flow the performance of the engine is effected.
While not a good idea of the street you do see wrapped exhaust systems on motorcycles to increase exhaust temps . Faster flow increase top end HP.
I wonder if the exhaust system layout will stay that way when they do dyno testing with the full system on?

This IAV/EM engine is designed as a car engine so running from front to back in this vehicle would not be a long run. The more interesting thing to me is the number of tight turns in the exhaust however I am sure IAV is fully aware of this design so it is very likely it has been computer modeled with the engine so they understand what will happen in physical testing. IAV's Kody Klindt discussed exhaust routing, including mentioning it would run down the right side, back in August in Detroit so they have obviously been involved in this process as one would expect.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think I remember reading somewhere that, a manufacturer of a vehicle with a enclosed cabin, must locate the exit for the exhaust behind the passenger compartment.
On a car as small as Elio, there just aren't many options.
I don't see any problem changing the tire with the muffler on the left.
Remove the skirt, jack up the car, the wheel drops down, remove the lug nuts. Then the wheel will have plenty of room to come off.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I"m thinking what we see on the image is the way it is, so we can more "clearly" see it dumping out the back, but not from the left side. IMO.

The exhaust does go under the oil pan on the left side, then routes to the right side before extending toward the rear. There is no reasonable explanation to route it to the left side again, unless it is a dual exaust exit. (higher costs). Plus, too many bends in he exhaust is counter productive to the air flow of the exhaust. (exhaust pressure has its use, but not too much, and not really with a smaller engine..)

I have no concerns for the exhaust routing under where you put in gas. Gas cannot fall directly onto the exhaust, and the exit part of the exhaust system is considerabbly cooler than the converter. A lot of People would be shocked to see how close the filler pipe is to their exhaust systems anyway!
Again, IMO.
Dual exhaust. LOL Maybe Triple exhaust! It'd be neat to see a V-3 though. I'd be a little unbalanced though.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dual exhaust. LOL Maybe Triple exhaust! It'd be neat to see a V-3 though. I'd be a little unbalanced though.
It's not the only thing here that's unbalanced!! lol Somehow i have to take a respite, my local Cad dealer has a Plymouth Prowler for sale, gonna check it out. I'd do the Slingshot if it was enclosed w/a.c.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe a Yoshimura exiting the right side up front,, kinda a mini-side-pipe :) I'll burn my durn knuckles at the rear wheel, when I have a flat I'm already agravated, don't need to add to it,,,, besides I like the Yosh sound !!!

Top Bottom