• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Development Question Put To Em

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I asked EM about the current state of engine development and testing. The following links are what I received in reply.

I don't know if this info has already been posted, apologies if so. It is still interesting reading.

GO EM !!!!!!

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=ee5baadff5&e=[UNI QID]
http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=927f23e10f

We actually have a Tech Talk Archive thread with links to the entire Tech Talk series as well as the relevant discussion thread where available. Elio does provide a lot of good information through this series even if the information is sometimes delayed by up to several months as EM wants to be sure of the information before posting it publicly.

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/tech-talk-archive.1128/

This is a bit of a worry.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

Nothing to worry about Joe mostly baseless speculation going on here

It does take time to develop a new engine however this engine has already been in development for some time as current development technology allows for several generations of designs to be refined using very good computer simulations before moving to real world testing for tweaking which is what IAV and EM are doing right now and will continue to do over the next year prior to production.

The reality is that there is a time delay between when things happen and when an article appears in the Tech Talk series. This delay in information can be several months as Elio Motors takes their time studying the results and vetting everything before releasing the information as they know it will be heavily scrutinized. While these Tech Talk were released together somewhat recently we have actually known about the castings, and even had some pictures posted on here, for some time now. The block casting happened in late February and the head casting happened in late May. The pictures shown are of the raw casting right after they were removed from the molds and allowed to cool. A lot machining and testing has likely been completed in the months since the pictures were taken.

From the casting dates you may realize that there is a three month gap between the two castings. What I have been told is that this truly was a development delay as IAV was not completely satisfied with the airflow test results from the original head cast with the engine block. This delay in the cylinder head design, while not really publicly discussed very specifically by EM, has been alluded to a number of times when EM have mentioned a delay in the engine development process. This kind of delay is exactly why EM waits to publish information until they are sure things will proceed forwards.

Based on what we know about when things happened and when information was released we can deduce that the machining and preliminary testing has already happened as this was very likely the trigger for block and head information release. Based on that information the next steps final assembly and testing, are either underway, or will soon begin at the IAV testing facility in Michigan.

We do know that the upcoming P5 build will have an actual IAV/Elio engine installed and it is expected to begin construction in either August or September as confirmed directly by Technosports which is the company which builds the prototypes for Elio Motors. The P5 will be the template for the roughly two dozen 'E' series pre-production vehicles which are expected to be built pretty quickly after the P5. These 'E' series vehicles will be used for crash and/or read testing and development ahead of production next year. It is true that there is a lot more development ahead however they have a year to do this work and over most of that time there will also be a lot of engines and vehicles being tested simultaneously both on the road and in the lab.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We actually have a Tech Talk Archive thread with links to the entire Tech Talk series as well as the relevant discussion thread where available. Elio does provide a lot of good information through this series even if the information is sometimes delayed by up to several months as EM wants to be sure of the information before posting it publicly.

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/tech-talk-archive.1128/

Nothing to worry about Joe mostly baseless speculation going on here

It does take time to develop a new engine however this engine has already been in development for some time as current development technology allows for several generations of designs to be refined using very good computer simulations before moving to real world testing for tweaking which is what IAV and EM are doing right now and will continue to do over the next year prior to production.

The reality is that there is a time delay between when things happen and when an article appears in the Tech Talk series. This delay in information can be several months as Elio Motors takes their time studying the results and vetting everything before releasing the information as they know it will be heavily scrutinized. While these Tech Talk were released together somewhat recently we have actually known about the castings, and even had some pictures posted on here, for some time now. The block casting happened in late February and the head casting happened in late May. The pictures shown are of the raw casting right after they were removed from the molds and allowed to cool. A lot machining and testing has likely been completed in the months since the pictures were taken.

From the casting dates you may realize that there is a three month gap between the two castings. What I have been told is that this truly was a development delay as IAV was not completely satisfied with the airflow test results from the original head cast with the engine block. This delay in the cylinder head design, while not really publicly discussed very specifically by EM, has been alluded to a number of times when EM have mentioned a delay in the engine development process. This kind of delay is exactly why EM waits to publish information until they are sure things will proceed forwards.

Based on what we know about when things happened and when information was released we can deduce that the machining and preliminary testing has already happened as this was very likely the trigger for block and head information release. Based on that information the next steps final assembly and testing, are either underway, or will soon begin at the IAV testing facility in Michigan.

We do know that the upcoming P5 build will have an actual IAV/Elio engine installed and it is expected to begin construction in either August or September as confirmed directly by Technosports which is the company which builds the prototypes for Elio Motors. The P5 will be the template for the roughly two dozen 'E' series pre-production vehicles which are expected to be built pretty quickly after the P5. These 'E' series vehicles will be used for crash and/or read testing and development ahead of production next year. It is true that there is a lot more development ahead however they have a year to do this work and over most of that time there will also be a lot of engines and vehicles being tested simultaneously both on the road and in the lab.
Well said, ole chap.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry guys and gals; I'm not Paul Revere, but with the current level of "news less" days, adding the delays for the reservation numbers and the delays with the production of just ONE motor/power train to propel the Elio itself into production, if not down the road. . . . . This whole thing looks like a very good enema is needed to "unblock" the obstruction in the bowels of EM.

Like I stated, I am NOT Paul Revere, but from what I am reading lately on the boards here, there seems to be the thundering sound of "something" coming down the road, and it's not and Elio. . . . , or the British.

Could it be the in deans a getting VERY restless?

Come on Paul Elio, either YOU, or one of your underlings needs to wake up, and put an ear to the ground.

LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS HERE.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry guys and gals; I'm not Paul Revere, but with the current level of "news less" days, adding the delays for the reservation numbers and the delays with the production of just ONE motor/power train to propel the Elio itself into production, if not down the road. . . . . This whole thing looks like a very good enema is needed to "unblock" the obstruction in the bowels of EM.

Like I stated, I am NOT Paul Revere, but from what I am reading lately on the boards here, there seems to be the thundering sound of "something" coming down the road, and it's not and Elio. . . . , or the British.

Could it be the in deans a getting VERY restless?

Come on Paul Elio, either YOU, or one of your underlings needs to wake up, and put an ear to the ground.

LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS HERE.
We have had delays like this before and it has meant nothing. I didn't get the Tour Blog until 11 PM last night and that means someone one was up very late working on it before sending it out. Simply relax and let it go. Haven't you learned a watch pot is very slow to come to a boil? I know the saying is "never boils" but that is only true if you turned the wrong element on or lit the wrong fire. The information is coming and it will get here when it gets here. The only ones restless are some of us here. I refuse to become one of them even though I check the website frequently. I check because I want to get the information posted as soon as possible not because I am worried. :-) Z

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's wait and see if with this delay in numbers, IF when we divide it up with the number of days since the last post, we actually see a jump in reservations to, let's say. . . . . . 120 per day. Or a drop to 70 or 80 per day.

Zelio, believe it or not, I DO have a recipe for "Crow" and will be happy to drag it out, cook it up and eat a batch Crow myself.

If the shoe is on the other foot, I'll prepare it for the BOTH of us when you come to dinner in my home. Deal? :D

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's wait and see if with this delay in numbers, IF when we divide it up with the number of days since the last post, we actually see a jump in reservations to, let's say. . . . . . 120 per day. Or a drop to 70 or 80 per day.

Zelio, believe it or not, I DO have a recipe for "Crow" and will be happy to drag it out, cook it up and eat a batch Crow myself.

If the shoe is on the other foot, I'll prepare it for the BOTH of us when you come to dinner in my home. Deal? :D
Crow? Hmmmm, I'll have to think about that one. BTW my blood pressure is 107/64. What's yours? LOL :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Crow? Hmmmm, I'll have to think about that one. BTW my blood pressure is 107/64. What's yours? LOL :) Z
I come from a place in my life where I live without debt. Therefore I see decreases in level of reservations at a time when school will soon be starting and assume people are having to use their funds elsewhere - vacation already planned, school supplies, etc. Just because I personally don't have to worry about these issues (every day is a vacation and I have no kids in school) doesn't mean that other people don't. :-) Z

Top Bottom