• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Cost?

FeuersteinShawn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
It seems there are fewer rebuilds these days. With the normal vehicles these days running 200,000 miles commonly, and some lots more. I have a Mustang with 309,000 a GMC 3/4 ton with 290,000 a Geo with 235,000 a Volvo with 224,000 a Caprice wagon with 235,000 a Yamaha XT500 motorcycle with 68,000 and a KLR motorcycle with 34,000. Only the Geo has been rebuilt, and all others only maintained regularly. I have a spare engine for the Caprice which I race on the Salt Flats in Utah. With better materials and better oils, the engines seem to run much longer than my 60's era cars.
I under stand , I have a 02 civic I've rebuilt the top end twice. I had to rebuild the Trans three times, but I have 500,000 miles on the original lower end. I'm hoping it will last till mine roles off the line.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's that I don't have confidence in the engine. It's just that I drive over 100,000 miles a year. Actually how much I will be saving on gas I could buy a new one every year.
It is going to be fun to see how the engine holds up on the long haul. I am looking forward to putting miles on. Rebuild or replace engine, I am up for either one. Just send me a note saying my Elio is ready, and I will be happy to spend time seeing the country and visiting Mom in Canada.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
. I (personally) am impressed with the steps EM is taking to see that the motor has a looong life.
Im a little concerned about the longevity of the engine. Its an aluminum block with no cylinder sleeves. Instead, they are plasma-sprayed, but plasma sprayed engines haven't been around long enough to really know how they hold up over time.

I think Ford introduced Plasma-sprayed cylinder linings in 2011.

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know Elio originally planned to use sprayed liners, but they have changed many things along the way. I certainly wouldn't complain if they're using steel sleeves instead. I know for a fact that the prototype engines did (plainly visible in early block photos).

A sprayed liner makes the engine disposable, in my opinion. It's beyond the capability of many shops to rebuild correctly.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unless you are a pro, it may take a wee bit a little longer to rebuild than swap.
Great question though, reminded me of the good old days.
Well, yeah. I can rebuild one over two weekends though. I'll bet the Elio engine will be even faster... only three cylinders... very small... simple engine.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Im a little concerned about the longevity of the engine. Its an aluminum block with no cylinder sleeves. Instead, they are plasma-sprayed, but plasma sprayed engines haven't been around long enough to really know how they hold up over time.

I think Ford introduced Plasma-sprayed cylinder linings in 2011.
Plasma sprayed cylinder walls of the engine are suppose to have long life. That technology has been tested and proven.

However, the same thing was thought of the silicone impregnated walls of the Vega. That technology had also been tested and proven.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Plasma sprayed cylinder walls of the engine are suppose to have long life. That technology has been tested and proven.

However, the same thing was thought of the silicone impregnated walls of the Vega. That technology had also been tested and proven.

But if you think back, Vega cylinder walls were free standing and fit into cast iron heads.
Over heat the engine and it warped the head. And bang! Compression is gone.
So it wasn't the silicone impregnated walls.
It was the aluminum block and cast iron head with different expansion rates.
Vega_block_cylinder_bores.jpg

Last edited:

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, yeah. I can rebuild one over two weekends though. I'll bet the Elio engine will be even faster... only three cylinders... very small... simple engine.
I pulled my Geo apart a couple times, put new pistons into honed cylinders and found the job to be fun and rewarding. I pulled the head off with my left hand while moving hoses and wires with my right hand. No problem.

Top Bottom