• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Lighting (head, Tail, Brake, Signal, Fog, Auxiliary, Blinking,etc...)

Would you choose optional lighting on your Elio? (choose all that apply)

• Yes, I want a "third" or higher brake light.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, I want marker lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Yes, I want signal lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Yes, I want headlights, fog lights or similar on the front wheels.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, I do not want any additional lighting.

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wheaters,
That is about 15 inches, get an aux light kit and through it on the side of the engine cowl -- with the right stand-off,it would lay within the 400 mm. Do you still require the rear fog light in England also? I had fun with that thing when i got back in the states. If I had someone tailgating me, I would switch it on and they would brake thinking it was my brake light.

I think it has to be the main headlights, according to the regulations. As I've said before, the P3 side pod headlights would probably be OK.

Yes, a rear fog light is still mandatory lighting.

The latest requirement is for white daytime driving lights!

They have also made it mandatory for all dash panel warning lights to be off. I've just spent the evening working out how to cancel the brake pad warning light and message on my BMW, having changed the front brakes discs and pads this afternoon. Took me almost as long to sort out the warning light than it did to change the brakes.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
upload_2014-10-31_13-52-45.png
I’m hoping HID headlights and driving/fog lights will be offered as a factory option. I’ve got some tough roads to travel on my long commute and need all the illumination I can get.

If HID’s aren’t offered I’m wondering if anyone here has retrofitted an existing car they own and if it was worth the cost and effort.
Has anyone inquired as to the type of headlights the Elio will be standardly equipped? I look at the picture of the Audi R8 posted with HID headlights, and the P4, and they appear to be the same. Click on the Elio picture to view both. HIDs are a vast improvement over halogen bulb. 3281[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-31_13-51-28.png
    upload_2014-10-31_13-51-28.png
    370.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
HID lighting is great; my BMW has it (and adaptive headlights that turn to point round corners as well as self levelling and washers).

However, as far as the Elio is concerned, we're talking about a very low cost vehicle. PE said they were still working on cost reduction issues. Unfortunately, I can't see Elio including expensive HID lighting over the cheaper old fashioned bulb type.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
HID lighting is great; my BMW has it (and adaptive headlights that turn to point round corners as well as self levelling and washers).

However, as far as the Elio is concerned, we're talking about a very low cost vehicle. PE said they were still working on cost reduction issues. Unfortunately, I can't see Elio including expensive HID lighting over the cheaper old fashioned bulb type.

This is my though also. HID headlights could very well be on the options list however I would expect EM to use standard inexpensive halogen bulb units in the base vehicle.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 3282
Has anyone inquired as to the type of headlights the Elio will be standardly equipped? I look at the picture of the Audi R8 posted with HID headlights, and the P4, and they appear to be the same. Click on the Elio picture to view both. HIDs are a vast improvement over halogen bulb. 3281[/ATTACH]
No disputing comments from Wheaters and Goofyone, i.e., with further cost reductions needed, and the cheaper alternative being conventional halogens, HID is not likely to be standard. In addition, Elio Motors is not stating that it will be part of the base model. BUT, it appears to be included in the prototypes. So, it would appear to be a possible option.

I neglected to ask the question when I saw the P4. So my inquiry remains: has anyone heard directly from EM?

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Marco

Elio Fan
Reaction score
All of the street motorcycles I've ever had did just fine with one headlight. I've never even had to ever use the emergency backup, which is the brights switch...seperate bulb.

Top Bottom