• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Distribution And Direct Sales

Nate_tx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
International Sales - I know US production comes 1st and foremost.

But get this - some people overseas are watching this carefully. Some potential interested parties overseas are seething to get their hands on a Elio and willing to open their pocketbooks wide and make offers. So lets say hypathetically its not the Elio as its no in production yet. Lets say someone overseas really likes the Hybrid Cadillac Escalade - but cannot get it in their respective country. (I use this example because when I was in Roatan Honduras - an owner of a resort had an Escalade he ordered in from the states as they do not sell them in Honduras or Roatan). But whats to stop someone say taking delivery of his/her Elio and selling it to a individual overseas for $10k or $15k US and working with the individual to ship it. I would assume nothing would stop them except the laws in the country of their residence if the 3 wheel vehicle can meet that countries requirements... Does my question make sense?

I have heard from a guy from Doctor in Brazil who says he is wanting to buy one off a person holding a reservation once they take deliver and will fly in, test drive and make a large $$$ to be own one assuming he just wants to be trendy and have the 1st. I just dont know what the legal ramifications of that sort of sale are. Oh and not I would even consider that at the moment its just a question hehe

Thanks

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
International Sales - I know US production comes 1st and foremost.

But get this - some people overseas are watching this carefully. Some potential interested parties overseas are seething to get their hands on a Elio and willing to open their pocketbooks wide and make offers. So lets say hypathetically its not the Elio as its no in production yet. Lets say someone overseas really likes the Hybrid Cadillac Escalade - but cannot get it in their respective country. (I use this example because when I was in Roatan Honduras - an owner of a resort had an Escalade he ordered in from the states as they do not sell them in Honduras or Roatan). But whats to stop someone say taking delivery of his/her Elio and selling it to a individual overseas for $10k or $15k US and working with the individual to ship it. I would assume nothing would stop them except the laws in the country of their residence if the 3 wheel vehicle can meet that countries requirements... Does my question make sense?

I have heard from a guy from Doctor in Brazil who says he is wanting to buy one off a person holding a reservation once they take deliver and will fly in, test drive and make a large $$$ to be own one assuming he just wants to be trendy and have the 1st. I just dont know what the legal ramifications of that sort of sale are. Oh and not I would even consider that at the moment its just a question hehe

Thanks

My bet is this would be illegal. That being said, is it illegal to sell to a person from a foreign country? Or is it illegal for the foreigner to buy from someone here? That I'm not sure about. Or I may be all wrong. @wheaters may be able to offer some insight.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why would it be illegal?
I would think that if the vehicle was not legal too drive over there, like headlights to narrow for instance, then it may be illegal to sell and/or purchase. I always thought that trying to buy a car overseas and import it through all the customs and legal hurdles was problematic to say the least. Again, my opinion, not based on any experience.

Last edited:

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My bet is this would be illegal. That being said, is it illegal to sell to a person from a foreign country? Or is it illegal for the foreigner to buy from someone here? That I'm not sure about. Or I may be all wrong. @wheaters may be able to offer some insight.
It is not illegal to sell to someone in a foreign country unless what you are selling is technology that is proprietary and has to do with defense or national security.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is not illegal to sell to someone in a foreign country unless what you are selling is technology that is proprietary and has to do with defense or national security.

I agree that selling the car is legal here. The buyer may break some import law in their own country for a variety of reasons.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Who would buy it if it was not street legal? Holographic-LED headlights on those sponsons is the answer because they are not subject to the extreme jolting and vibration going on out there.

Top Bottom