• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Crowdfunding

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the main function for the the P5 be similar to that of the P4 .... that being on the tour for generating excitement and reservations .... since it will have the IAV engine so it can be used for various types of testing but crash testing will not be one of them .... they have stated the crash testing will be on subsequent "P's" that do not have the IAV engine .... I do expect it to be used more heavily for industry related media test drives .... it will be able to travel at interstate speeds which exceeds the capability of the P4

As to 'media test drives' I heard a week ago when the Elio was in Cedar Rapids that the P4 had an automatic transmission mostly for the media since many can't drive a manual transmission. Based upon that, I doubt the P5 will be aimed at the media. At least not the general, 'hostess of the morning news show' media. Maybe the enthusiast media. but probably not the general media.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
“Financially Viable”:
The applicant will be deemed “financially viable” for purposes of 10 CFR
611.100(a)(2) if (i) there is a reasonable prospect that the applicant will be able to pay principal and
interest as and when due under the ATVM Program loan and (ii) the applicant has a net present value that is positive, taking all costs, existing and future, into account. (See definition of “financially viable”
in 10 CFR 611.2.)

As Bart Simpson questioned in such simple fashion, "Are we there yet?"

The bonus program is now taking an average of 65% from the $1000 profit on the base vehicle for earlier reservation holders. The profit margin on options has been stated by PE to be targeted at a fixed 20%. Each impacts future cash flows.

Going on this ride remains an adventure.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As to 'media test drives' I heard a week ago when the Elio was in Cedar Rapids that the P4 had an automatic transmission mostly for the media since many can't drive a manual transmission. Based upon that, I doubt the P5 will be aimed at the media. At least not the general, 'hostess of the morning news show' media. Maybe the enthusiast media. but probably not the general media.
And speaking of test drives: with their still-standing-by the-date of mid 2016 rapidly approaching, I wonder if the purchasers will ever get a chance to test drive one of these before we buy it. I sure would like to be able to drive one before I need to decide on a transmission and other options, but being only a year out I see this opportunity dwindling.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
“Financially Viable”:
The applicant will be deemed “financially viable” for purposes of 10 CFR
611.100(a)(2) if (i) there is a reasonable prospect that the applicant will be able to pay principal and
interest as and when due under the ATVM Program loan and (ii) the applicant has a net present value that is positive, taking all costs, existing and future, into account. (See definition of “financially viable”
in 10 CFR 611.2.)

As Bart Simpson questioned in such simple fashion, "Are we there yet?"

The bonus program is now taking an average of 65% from the $1000 profit on the base vehicle for earlier reservation holders. The profit margin on options has been stated by PE to be targeted at a fixed 20%. Each impacts future cash flows.

Going on this ride remains an adventure.

Only thing that really bothers me is "reasonable prospect".
Reasonable Prospect is a very subjective phrase on the best day.
On the worst day, I hope the evaluator has not just received a notice that his wife has filed a petition for divorce.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
with EM's
And speaking of test drives: with their still-standing-by the-date of mid 2016 rapidly approaching, I wonder if the purchasers will ever get a chance to test drive one of these before we buy it. I sure would like to be able to drive one before I need to decide on a transmission and other options, but being only a year out I see this opportunity dwindling.

I asked Jerome about preorder test drives last December in Charlotte .... he told me that they hope to be able to make arrangements for them but that may or may not possible for early reservations .... in short, it appears that nothing much has changed in that area .... that uncertainty played a significant part in our decision on what type of reservation to make .... since we aren't in any rush to get one, we decided that we would rather have tens of thousands built prior to ours

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Basic goal is sale units of 250k/yr $1,000/car yields of $250,000,000.00/profit

Production loans are not hard to come by with numbers like that. What Charlie said too, not all $1.5 billion ($5,800 X 250,000) is needed up front; just guaranteed purchase order agreements from vendors and Elio can easily work off a $100mill production loan of which wouldn't be needed after the first 100k units are sold, then the debt would be paid off in a year.

Sure thats perfect world numbers, but a 15% profit per $6,800 in sales is insanely good

Please correct me if I am wrong but, I was under the impression that EM's "target profit" was to be $2K per unit.

2nd: Every one of the listed "vendors" (parts & materials suppliers) are well established companies. These companies are currently supplying other car makers at a profit. They are not sitting on their hands waiting for the Elio to start up, with "zero" cash on hand. I believe it is industry standard for these suppliers, to be paid 30 days after the product is supplied. This give EM a time "cushion". Yes, that leaves the vendors carrying the load, but they are established companies. I have been working as a "vendor" to the auto industry (dealerships) for 20 years now. It is normal for for me to bill every 30 days and get paid within 2 weeks. So, It may be up to 6 weeks before I get paid. This should be "factored in" with our "WAGS". :)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you. That may be why DOE has been dragging it's feet.
I agree too, but don't think it's the DOE dragging it's feet. I think the DOE is patiently waiting on EM for some results as we all are. The DOE has potential to be our best friend after they test drive the hot red P5 in D.C..

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh boy, a sizeable level of thinking, estimating and guess work has gone on in the last 24 hours. Yep, I'm in that boat too.

We tend to forget EM has sized all of this up. The cash flow and capital outlay IS the principle business plan issue in automotive startups.
EM does not like to detail such things to the public. There is always a combination of cash up front and back door deals and loans involved. EM has admitted to requiring upfront 240m total of which almost 100m will have been collected when the A+ program concludes and is done-done.

EM has not, and will not let us know how much goes directly towards production start up or the other cost areas. Those all are a huge black-box to us. But again, certainly EM has calculated all this out and made, and going to make their back-door contracts and loans to work it all out. The banks are more than willing to make money connecting a 60day-90day delay in delivery vs payment receipts etc. Who do you think will benefit from those credit card programs? Not just EM. Certainly a bank has already been engaged as a package deal.

So of course it doesn't add up for many of us. That's because we, in the open public, don't have all the numbers and deals available to calculate it all.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Only thing that really bothers me is "reasonable prospect".
Reasonable Prospect is a very subjective phrase on the best day.
On the worst day, I hope the evaluator has not just received a notice that his wife has filed a petition for divorce.
On the bright side the happily divorced wife may be the evaluator.

Top Bottom