• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Easy In/easy Out?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1970's honda civic had the manual shifter on the dash. citrogen had the manual shifter on the dash. and now days they are all cable driven. so it does not matter. the geo metro cable driven manual yes on the floor but just as easy to put in the dash. not the best looking having that lever hanging out the dash but it has been done. my brother in law has a van from japan only a few years old with a manual on the dash i don't know the make.

Please post a pic of the early civic with a 4/5 speed that had the shifter on the dash. My mother drove one and I don't remember it like that at all.
Remember too, I did not say it is not possible... but, "not cost effective, not practical." We already know that EM is serious about saving money, as the reason stated, for the gas door on the right side, was: "we save $10 per vehicle." I believe you are also mistaken about the Geo Metro as I currently own a '93. I've been under it many times.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
i disagree somewhat here, if drivers are passing and don't see you until they are just about ready to occupy your space in this car you have no place to go. i have been in that situation a lot of times while riding my scooter. and i have to drive to the shoulder to avoid a crash. (a scooter and car can occupy the same area but not the elio) and you should see the look on the other drivers face when they get into your space. like o shit what you doing here? the tires are so small they may just be invisible to the other driver trying to get out of the way of that truck coming at him. just like turning left after a car goes by you to discover they have a trailer on the back some are so small you don't see them fast enough.
I have seen the same thing happen with people driving Dodge rams, Caddies, etc..... it does not matter what you are driving there will be some idiot out there not watching what they are doing and will try to get into your space.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have driven manual transmissions for 50 years, on the floor and on the steering column. Please, tell me the name of a car that has had a manual shifter on the dash?
To my knowledge there has never been any discussion about putting a "manual" gear shifter on the dash only as an option for the automatic version. I'm old enough to remember when the gear selector lever was mounted on the steering column.

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Over head is what is "over your head" when sitting in your car, unless it is a convertible and then "overhead" could be in your trunk, sometimes. When I downsized to a roadster similar to Elio, I had to become a much more defensive driver. The unusual shape of the Pontiac Fiero (1984-88) and later Solstice (2006-10) did cause vehicle to stand out to others but most SUVs and pickups need to be watched carefully. You learn to get out of other vehicles' blind spots. Motorcyclists know what I am talking about.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Over head is what is "over your head" when sitting in your car, unless it is a convertible and then "overhead" could be in your trunk, sometimes. When I downsized to a roadster similar to Elio, I had to become a much more defensive driver. The unusual shape of the Pontiac Fiero (1984-88) and later Solstice (2006-10) did cause vehicle to stand out to others but most SUVs and pickups need to be watched carefully. You learn to get out of other vehicles' blind spots. Motorcyclists know what I am talking about.
I assume if I can't see the mirror of the vehicle in front of me, they can't see me. The same is true for someone behind the vehicle behind me. If I can't see the vehicle behind them, then they can't see me so therefore, driver beware. It is called defensive driving. At least that is what I call it. If I am on a two lane road it is usually because I want to enjoy the drive. In that case if more than one vehicle is behind me or the one behind me is tail gating, I simply pull over at the closest availble spot so they can get out of my hair and I can continue to enjoy my drive. :-) Z

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My mistake. I doubt there will be much said about it.
Not a problem and I know we all make them and I thought you may have know about some earlier posts that I may have missed. What's great about this forum it that most members try to help each other get the correct information rather than being critical about someone's response.

Top Bottom