• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eastern Catalytic - Exhaust And Trailer Hitch

hikerbob

Reaction score
This is November of 2015 and I am researching, as an interested buyer, whether there has been progress on Elio Motor's part, at addressing the attachment of a hitch to the Elio for a very lightweight cargo trailer. Hiker Bob in El Paso

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is November of 2015 and I am researching, as an interested buyer, whether there has been progress on Elio Motor's part, at addressing the attachment of a hitch to the Elio for a very lightweight cargo trailer. Hiker Bob in El Paso

at one time they were looking in that direction but liability lawyers put an end to it .... so, no provisions will come from EM .... its highly probably that aftermarket sources may come up with hitches but EM has said installing one will kill the factory warranty .... note, they can only kill the warranty on parts that were affected by adding a hitch .... the tricky part is, just what would be affected .... I can see how they could choose I an see how they could void the motor, transmission, drive train, cooling, and rear frame/suspension .... that said, my bet is there won't be much of a gap between production and reports of owners making such a mod

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
hikerbob, welcome to the forum from your neighbor in Las Cruces. There is an entire thread on the forum about trailer hitches & towing issues. bottom line right now is that the first version of the Elio will not have a hitch and if an aftermarket one is installed it will nullify the warranty. Having said that I plan on installing one on my Elio as do many other members on the forum. Enjoy the experience and the journey with us.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep! What Jim (JEBar) said. I haven't seen the Elio in person, but from the pics, I'd say the rear frame looks pretty stout. I'm thinking an adjustable airbag would do the trick on keeping it level with the added weight of a 'small' trailer. That said, my wife's idea of traveling light packs the entire cargo area of our Jeep Grand Cherokee, and most of the back seat.

Top Bottom