• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eastern Catalytic - Exhaust And Trailer Hitch

Coss

Staff member
Hitch / receiver would be my #1 option, so I can have a good/accessible bike rack.
Well hate to disappoint you but a hitch/receiver is not going to be an option.
EM (Elio Motors) has stated that towing anything will void the warranty; so even if you only plan on using it for a bike mount the hitch option won't be on the list; however, they have talked about creating a bike rack for the Elio.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
You are correct in saying " a hitch/receiver is not going to be an option."...offered by EM. I have no doubt tho, that an aftermarket hitch will be available very soon after production starts. I think there are enough people (like myself) who are not concerned about the (minimal) added weight of a trailer, causing transmission failure. The MMT's & 5-speeds, are already in use in heavier vehicles!
IMHO,
EM's decision is not based on the extra weight of a trailer. It is based on the litigious society that they are planning to sell to. They cannot guarantee anyone's "ability" (or training) to tow safely.
It would also be costly (in both time and money) for EM to integrate a "towing package" into the stability & braking systems.
So, by saying "we do not approve towing with the Elio" Em is limiting their liability for any issues that may occur.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
EM (Elio Motors) has stated that towing anything will void the warranty; so even if you only plan on using it for a bike mount the hitch option won't be on the list; however, they have talked about creating a bike rack for the Elio.

There are a lot of people who just don't get it.
There is only about 400 # weight on the rear tire.
Since Elio is FWD, any weight over about 300# would be dangerous and cause instability unless you had trailer brakes.
And lets face it. Most people are too stupid to understand that it's the weight in the trailer, not the size of the stuff you put in it.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
There are a lot of people who just don't get it.
There is only about 400 # weight on the rear tire.
Since Elio is FWD, any weight over about 300# would be dangerous and cause instability unless you had trailer brakes.
And lets face it. Most people are too stupid to understand that it's the weight in the trailer, not the size of the stuff you put in it.

What if the trailer was in front of the elio? I suppose you'd have to call it a "leader" in that case.

But seriously, what if you had an aerodynamic pod with an omnidirectional, road-worthy castor wheel, that mounted to the front of the Elio frame, but in such a way as not to obscure the radiator and headlights? I imagine it would look something like the nose of a jet fighter. I know they make one-wheel trailers, so at the very least the wheel technology is there.

Coss

Staff member
What if the trailer was in front of the elio? I suppose you'd have to call it a "leader" in that case.

But seriously, what if you had an aerodynamic pod with an omnidirectional, road-worthy castor wheel, that mounted to the front of the Elio frame, but in such a way as not to obscure the radiator and headlights? I imagine it would look something like the nose of a jet fighter. I know they make one-wheel trailers, so at the very least the wheel technology is there.
I have to admit, that is a different idea. You would also have to consider forward visibility; I think by the time you figure in all of the variables it wouldn't be big enough to carry anything more than the size of 2 sleeping bags.
Why not just integrate it into the frame rails, and match the body lines and you can take off the back wheel on the Elio, move it back to the trailer and have the whole thing act like a stretch Elio. :becky:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict

Maybe something like an over-sized wire basket, like on the front of a Vespa. OR....we could make some adapter brackets, that mount to the tow-bar mounting tabs. These brackets would extend forward, (just passed the nose) and "clamp" onto the rear of a shopping cart! :drum: I'm a GENIOUS! :fish:

Coss

Staff member
Maybe something like an over-sized wire basket, like on the front of a Vespa. OR....we could make some adapter brackets, that mount to the tow-bar mounting tabs. These brackets would extend forward, (just passed the nose) and "clamp" onto the rear of a shopping cart! :drum: I'm a GENIOUS! :fish:
Side car..... Yeah, that's the ticket .... And go a step further, set it up like an outrigger (bigger side pod, and on the other side)

upload_2016-1-13_17-39-46.png

Trusting

Elio Addict
Yet another thread about the need to be able to carry more load in your Elio. After all, that's what trailers are all about. But, Elio says "no" to trailers. That's why I think this is such a good idea. If you agree, let EM know. The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

Imaklhge1.jpg

imhbhhage.jpg

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Yet another thread about the need to be able to carry more load in your Elio. After all, that's what trailers are all about. But, Elio says "no" to trailers. That's why I think this is such a good idea. If you agree, let EM know. The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

Imaklhge1.jpg

imhbhhage.jpg

I like it. It could be done as a bolt-on. It could made so the original trunk lid is re-used.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
I like it. It could be done as a bolt-on. It could made so the original trunk lid is re-used.
That was my thought too, but because of the location of the original frame, the interior wouldn't be as roomy as the exterior suggests. Basically, you'd have frame rails cutting the trunk space in half :/