• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Driving Your Elio

Mrtoycrazy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will admit I am an aggressive driver, it's just in my genes. I have been pondering how it will be driving the Elio. Going to work recently I have been working on my attitude and practicing nonaggressive driving to get ready for my commune in an Elio. I realize with the 55hp I most likely won't be able to "gas it " around the driver ahead of me,the one that's got the line held up. Right now I'm working on a job that I have the joy of being able to take the back roads to work, so I'm taking advantage of it. I expect on the highway to stay in the right or maybe middle lane and trying to coax all the mpg out so I can brag to my friends. I'm thinking this reverse three wheeler is going to make me drive safer and pretty much close to the posted speed limit, which in turn, no speeding tickets, of which I have had none in 2 years, thankfully, plus I'll get a whole lot better gas mileage and all for $6,800.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will admit I am an aggressive driver, it's just in my genes. I have been pondering how it will be driving the Elio. Going to work recently I have been working on my attitude and practicing nonaggressive driving to get ready for my commune in an Elio. I realize with the 55hp I most likely won't be able to "gas it " around the driver ahead of me,the one that's got the line held up. Right now I'm working on a job that I have the joy of being able to take the back roads to work, so I'm taking advantage of it. I expect on the highway to stay in the right or maybe middle lane and trying to coax all the mpg out so I can brag to my friends. I'm thinking this reverse three wheeler is going to make me drive safer and pretty much close to the posted speed limit, which in turn, no speeding tickets, of which I have had none in 2 years, thankfully, plus I'll get a whole lot better gas mileage and all for $6,800.

Also, you should check the thread about what if I total my Elio, back of the line for you! and no soup!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
there will most certainly be a leaning curve that all of us will have to follow .... you sound like I used to be ..:rolleyes:.. now days I don't try to just take time to smell the roses, I try to find time to cultivate them along the way ..:).. that said, I have no doubt that I'll take a few turns so as to figure out how she handles .. ;)

Jim

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's good thinking, I'd say.. Great attitude..

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't ignore the weight of only 1200 pounds or so..when I raced my speedboat it was only 3800 + a bit for hull hardening. The Elio should do quite well.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the joy of driving will be in the turns and twisty roads- low COG, light weight ,nice front wheel spread should make it ideal. I currently have Toyota MR2 03 Spyder (retired teacher's Porsche) that has low h.p.too but I power thru turns with a smile. I also think the Elio will ride a little rough As my MR2, i.e. "feel the road" compared to the typical car, which I'll really enjoy!! And ,after I put a catback exhaust and Using the same logic as HD riders (the sound is a safety tool (sic)), which I was and loved, it should be fantastic

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have to agree with Mrtoycrazy, I also drive aggressive and I have a lead foot. It's time to take it easy and enjoy the ride.

over the years I've gotten off of a bike in about every conceivable manner .... unfortunately, most weren't planned, rather they were more of a spur of the moment action ..:eek:.. while I still haven't slowed down enough to smell the roses, I have gotten to where they don't pass in a blur ..;)

I also think the Elio will ride a little rough As my MR2, i.e. "feel the road" compared to the typical car, which I'll really enjoy!!

I sure hope that the ride will be (or can be modified to be) pretty smooth .... one reason I no longer have a bike is my back can't handle bouncing down the road in/on a vehicle with a stiff suspension .... for me a test drive will provide the final determination as to if we will order one

JIm

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too quick to write off acceleration at speed with this thing. With little wind resistance and some tourk it will probably get up and go when asked. Having a top end of 100+ it sounds like it should behave something like my CRZ and I can run right up there with the big boys with it.
MK

Last edited:
Top Bottom