• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Does The Elio *have* To Sell In High Volume To Succeed?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually the original projected price was $5900.
The base price was higher and the mpg was lower and more realistic back in the early days of Say Hello To Elio test the waters marketing.

image.jpeg

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, so I'm going to differ with the consensus view here. When things change sometimes implications and opportunities change too.

EM is going to sell a 100 initial pilot run of Elios out to fleet buyers. We don't know the real price of those. This is not called the main production for PR reasons, keeping us reservationists peaceful. But this IS a product sale from the point of view of the ATVM.

The opportunity is that EM could continue 'pilot' production and sell to other fleet buyers, and even do that at a higher price that still generates a profit. So this is a viable on-going business model that prevents a business failure, so long as the low volume production costs are lower than the fleet sales price.

And don't forget that engine sales are now a viable profit center very soon (world wide), not 100% dependent on the ATVM either.

There appears to be quite a few potential fleet buyers that are willing to exceed a $6800 purchase price, to include that YOYO vehicle time sharing business that Hari just became CEO of. (Very timely, Is this going to one of the buyers of the 100 pilot run?)

And EM still has the option to sell more of their reserved stock.

The balancing act here is not giving reservationists a legal angst and keeping the perception that the investment is worth the result, plus the ongoing promise that full high volume production is still obtainable in the future.

All that is doable.
Regarding EM's stand alone engine sales. The rest of the world is moving towards electric's and some countries are banning ICE vehicles by 2025. So it will be interesting to watch the ever changing world market for Elio's all new ICE.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually the original price was $5995 back in the P2 days. This was in February 2010 in the presentation to the Wayne County Michigan folks for the purchase of the Pontiac Michigan GM plant. At the time the P2 was capable of 66 mpg when McClaren was brought on board. The McClaren engineers said they could bring that up to 83mpg through engine and aerodynamic tweeks.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Regarding EM's stand alone engine sales. The rest of the world is moving towards electric's and some countries are banning ICE vehicles by 2025. So it will be interesting to watch the ever changing world market for Elio's all new ICE.

......"and some countries are banning ICE vehicles by 2025.".........
Which ones and cite sources of information.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you'll see ICE-bans in India, China, or Thailand any time soon. Big market for an engine like the Elio's.

I do love EVs though. Outside of my Elio, we're never going to buy another ICE car if we can help it. I can see a future where fossil-fuel engines are mostly used for long-range, high efficiency applications (Elios, Long Haul truckers, Diesel-Electric trains), and all daily driving is done by EVs. But I think the market will move there naturally, without need for government intervention.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you'll see ICE-bans in India, China, or Thailand any time soon. Big market for an engine like the Elio's.

I do love EVs though. Outside of my Elio, we're never going to buy another ICE car if we can help it. I can see a future where fossil-fuel engines are mostly used for long-range, high efficiency applications (Elios, Long Haul truckers, Diesel-Electric trains), and all daily driving is done by EVs. But I think the market will move there naturally, without need for government intervention.

Guess you've never lived on a farm or ranch.
Never bailed hay or alfalfa.
Never harvested crops.
Never done construction.
How does the plumber get his equipment to a job site?
How about the builder?

Top Bottom