• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Does The Elio *have* To Sell In High Volume To Succeed?

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The article said that, in the author's opinion, getting 1 out of 800 of 80 million vehicle buyers (100,000) to buy an Issetta was do-able.
I never realized what a small percentage of new vehicle buyers Elio would have... to get to bring them up to 250,000 per year.
Sooo... That would make the Elio numbers 1 out of 320. That in itself was worth the time I spent reading the article.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see where his opinion has any relevance.
He lives in a country with a population density almost as bad as New Jersey and a size a little bigger than Maryland.
Further, this thread is supposed to relate the sales level necessary to make the Elio target price reasonable, not the relative sizes of the Tesla S and the Elio.
Your opinion is that his opinion has no relevance :). My opinion is that everybody's opinion has relevance.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But that's just it, the infrastructure really ISN'T the problem. People only think that it is, because they are so used to relying on gasoline infrastructure.
98% of my charging is done at home. And charging speed at public stations is dependent on the car's equipment more than it is the station.
The larger your inverter/charger is, the faster your car can guzzle electricity. From a 50 amp 220v single-phase socket (standard for RV hookups nationwide) you could recharge a Nissan Leaf from empty to full battery in under 100 minutes. I know, because people have done it. It just takes adding on a few aftermarket chargers, because the one Nissan sells with the car is not up to the task.
BRUSA has a new charger that is capable of adding 22kw of charging power to a car--compare that to the paltry 3.3kw inverter that came with my Leaf. That would increase my charge time by 6x. With 25.3kw of charging power, I could completely charge my 24kw battery in under an hour.

Now, "under and hour" doesn't compare to the couple minutes it takes to refill a gas tank on a car. But as battery pack power also increases, then pretty soon the only time you will ever need to recharge your car is when you get home at night, or when you are on long road trips. So my point still stands--it is less about what infrastructure is out there, and more about what is "under the hood".
I'm pretty sure you meant it would decrease your charging time by 6x rather than increase your charge time. :rolleyes:
The infrastructure can surely be part of the problem. I can't make it to work and back with a PEV if I run the AC which I do. I can't charge at work so my option is to stop somewhere on my way home... every day. Once the range gets up there and the media gets off scaring everyone by mentioning range anxiety in every other article, you'll start seeing VERY fast adoption I would bet.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My opinion is that you are off topic.
That topic being "Does The Elio *have* To Sell In High Volume To Succeed?"
I always follow your comments and generally respond to your replies to a topic of conversation whether you are on topic or not. I always respect your opinions and sometimes I agree with that opinion and other times not so much. It's what makes the threads interesting or this thread would be reduced to a limited yes or no response.

My opinion regarding the specific topic is Yes, EM does have to sell in high volume to succeed and/or they can no way come close to selling the Elio at the already well over the current advertised $6800 surprisingly low targeted base price.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I always follow your comments and generally respond to your replies to a topic of conversation whether you are on topic or not. I always respect your opinions and sometimes I agree with that opinion and other times not so much. It's what makes the threads interesting or this thread would be reduced to a limited yes or no response.

My opinion regarding the specific topic is Yes, EM does have to sell in high volume to succeed and/or they can no way come close to selling the Elio at the already well over the current advertised $6800 surprisingly low targeted base price.

Don't get me wrong. There was some good info, but it was going further and further off track.
One of the interesting things about volume is that it isn't just Elio's price point volume .
It's also the price point volume of their suppliers. Recall when the A arms on the P5 were first shown and many of us were upset (verbally) that they didn't look as "cool" as the A arms on the P4.
Or the conversation when the "Metallic copper" rendering showed what looked like a really neat headlight unit.
And it sure would be interesting to know the price difference on those units.
Not to mention that some assemblies are coming from a fabricating plant in Texas. What's their price point break number. And how does shipping fit in to that cost?
Then there is the recurring (to me) non issue of the exposed A arms vs. the concealed McPherson struts and the possibility of them getting ripped off. That alone could make a thread.
And when we get to the physical width we are getting into the highway vs. city car aspect. Also worth its own thread.
Sorry.
I'll step off of my soap box now.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When Elio safety is questioned I often think of a former coworker. His wife was involved in a collision while driving a great big older car. He was quite religious and after he was done praising the lord and Detroit for keeping his wife safe I asked him about the details of the accident. Basically his wife collided head on with another car with the two cars making contact with about the outboard foot or so. He was really happy that his distrust of smaller cars had been validated. I pointed out that had she been driving a smaller car the accident would not have occurred. His car was totaled. Now an Ellio in a similar accident would lose a wheel as the poster above pointed out, but the passenger compartment would probably be unscathed. The Elio might be totaled as well but deducting the salvage value a brand new Elio would only cost a couple of thousand dollars and a nearly interminable wait.
I think you are absolutely, completely correct. With the space frame like it is, that kind of contact will, at most, shunt the Elio away from the contact "vector of acceleration". There is no other structure involved, might lose the mirror though. This is what, I think, is giving those crash-test guys a Fit. Plus, as maneuverable as the Elio should be, the accident might be avoidable altogether.

I hope for my grandkids you are Really him from Veggie Tales. You kinda sound like him. Friend with any peas?

Top Bottom